New to Jira and keen to move my kanban from physical to virtual

John Sowerby March 17, 2021

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome and the great initial set up guides. I set up my own personal kanban about a year ago and it has helped me with my work and life through multiple lockdowns since then.

I am looking at ways of dragging myself into the 21st century and decided to see if I could transfer my (physical) kanban into Jira. Now I am keen to stick at this and make the move...however there are some pretty basic things that I'd like to configure about how the kanban in Jira looks/feels but I can't find a way to configure the issue cards.

I'd like to colour code them based on the Label I apply and I'd like to make better use of the real estate - I don't need to see the name of the label (if the card is color-coded) and I don't need to see the unique project ID for each card. I could make much better use of that space by showing the Description instead.

I'll keep looking around in help and online but thought I should try to engage with the Community as well. :)

3 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

Welcome to the Atlassian Community, @John Sowerby ! Hope you get a great learning experience here!

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

Hey @John Sowerby ,

Welcome! Depending on what you want to achieve with your Kanban, I'd certainly also take a look at Trello (another Atlassian product). 

Trello is all about them cards so might even be a better fit if this is for a personal board..

Like # people like this
T Chambers March 17, 2021

Ditto what @Dirk Ronsmans said, @John Sowerby. Here's my Chores board.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 135724.jpg

Like John Sowerby likes this
John Sowerby March 18, 2021

Thank you @Dirk Ronsmans and @T Chambers - great advice and I got a lot further with it today in Trello. Still more to do and, if I can't find what I need online I may be back with a few more questions (or do I need to do that in another community now I am using Trello and not Jira?)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2021

Hey @John Sowerby ,

Well it’s the Atlassian community and not the Jira Community. Plenty of Trello advocates and experts here too :)

Like Erica Moss likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2021

@John Sowerby Welcome to the Community! Be sure to check out some of our product collections, our member journey, and Friday Fun. 😄

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events