Just joined a team that is using Jira and would like to learn more

Jerry Russell October 4, 2019

So hi, I'm Jerry. I've just joined a project team as PM and the team is using Jira so I'd like to learn a little more especially around some best practices. I've used Jira before but very lightly. And with the team I've just joined I'm not really sure (time my tell a different story) that they are using it to full potential. It seems they are using it to track issues surrounding a system migration but not much more. For example "the config file X needs updating with current info" or "the benefit rates data is not coming across during testing".

So I know Jira is great for identifying and then assigning stuff like that but I know there's more to it. Looking forward to learning.

5 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi @Jerry Russell,

Welcome to the Community!  You are definitely in the right place to learn!

I'd recommend starting by looking in the Jira Project Collection, and don't hesitate to ask questions, everyone here is very friendly!

-Jimmy

Like Jerry Russell likes this
Jerry Russell October 4, 2019

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon I'll check that out.

Ana Bolanos October 7, 2019

Hello Jerry,

Welcome! I send newbies  to the JIRA documentation page. First find your JIRA version here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/alldoc/jira-documentation-directory-71598773.html

Click on your version and you'll be redirected to the documentation page. I find these sections very helpful, especially when we bring a new person to use JIRA at our offices.

Good luck!

Jerry Russell October 7, 2019

Thanks @Ana Bolanos . Unfortunately I still can't seem to find where I can see what version we're using.

This is my home screen:

jira-home-screen.JPG

Hi, click on the ? you should have on the top right. 

Then select "About"

image.png

Thanks @Ana Bolanos 

This is my "About" screen. Mind you I'm just a user and have no admin capabilities in case that would be needed to see what's installed.

jira-about.JPG

Hum... I'd ask your JIRA admin then. 

This is the page you eventually want to get to: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/jira-software-server-8-4-documentation-938845020.html

This is for our company's version documentation page. 

@Ana Bolanos I think I found the issue. Looks like they're using Jira Cloud (which has it's own documentation URL) vs. Jira Server (which looks to be up to v 8.4).

;)

Ana Bolanos October 8, 2019

Awesome! I liked the Cloud version better. Good luck!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Cloud have versions but those are not so important for users like for Server. Anyway you should be able to check it by viewing source of the page

<meta name="application-name" content="JIRA" data-name="jira" data-version="1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT">

In the past it was in About Jira (now it is gone - from some reason).

Josh_Kochelek__Modus_Create
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2019

@Jerry Russell - Welcome!

First, know you're in good company. At the vast majority of companies, the Atlassian footprint starts with one team and grows as more teams discover the usefulness and features.

Second, definitely use the community as a resource. Tons of helpful articles, and if you can't find the exact answer that you're looking for, you can easily submit a new question. There are so many helpful people that contribute here that have also been where you are now.

Lastly, Atlassian's documentation is rich with information on how jira works and how to utilize the many features. A good rule of thumb is if tou have a question, you can google "jira how to.." and you'll normally find hits on either the community or Atlassian documentation.

Good luck! 

Like # people like this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2019

Welcome, @Jerry Russell

As a PM, I'd recommend to check the JIRA reports which offer nice options to summarize, track and present information. You should also check if the teams are using Confluence, as this could be a good place to document requirements, create task reports, summarize meeting notes and the like. You can use existing templates or create your own.

Have fun!

Carlos

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2019

@Jerry Russell We're glad you're here, Jerry! Sounds like you're already getting great tips. 😄

Like # people like this
Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ October 7, 2019

Hi @Jerry Russell 

Welcome to the community!

If you're interested in learning a bit more about Jira (the basics) and don't have a lot of time, Atlassian have set up a couple of free tutorials (https://training.atlassian.com/training-for-jira) which are great for a quick learn.

Like Jerry Russell likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events