Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What game/s did you play in your family growing up? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
We played this card game called "Kleppari" (insanity or crazy place - I don't have a clue what is called in English). You divvy up the cards evenly. Then each lays 5 cards down, the first one face up and the rest face down. Then lays a face up card on the first face down card and the rest face down. Finish laying down in this pattern. Then there are 2 piles in the middle - well there will be. Each player lays down a face up card in the middle (so they are side by side) and the craziness begins. You can only use one hand. You are trying to get rid of all your cards. You can go up or down in numbers. Colors/suit don't matter. Once one of the players finishes all the cards on the table, then that player pick which pile to take and the madness starts all over again. Once one of the player has gotten rid of all his or her cards, the game is over. Here are the rules in Icelandic :=)
giphy
Soooo, what game/s did you play in your family growing up?
Let’s make it a great Thursday! KGM

24 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2024

Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

Growing up, my parents took my sister and I camping a lot in a tent trailer.  We had a number of board games and card games that we played as a result.

One that really stands out as I played it with a number of coworkers at a previous job is: Euchre.

If you haven't played, it has a bit of a learning curve to the rules, but once you start to get into the game it's quite addictive.

Like # people like this
Holly Scott February 15, 2024

I played this as well. It's called Speed in the US. I get so worked up playing it!

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2024

Card games?  We would play 500, 500 Rummy, or Gin Rummy.  Of course there's always Solitare.  

While us kids went to bed at my neighbor's cabin on the floor, less than 10 feet away, the adults were up playing cards.

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora February 15, 2024

Growing up I used to play some bit of carrom. For folks, who may not know about it. This is what Wikipedia says about carrom.

It was fun and I was never any good at it. It used to be cousins playing together in between laughs & trivial fights. Fun all the same!

Attached an image for reference. :)

Snap_Carrom.jpg

Like # people like this
Hind Kadiri From Jaanga
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 15, 2024

Hello @Kristján Geir Mathiesen For my case, Monopoly has been a timeless favorite in our family! I still remember playing it with my cousins, parents and it was so much fun! We still do it sometimes by the way 😀

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2024

My family were not that into games, mostly because of Dad.

We did a lot of card games though - Mum, and her parents, played a lot of Rummy and a bit of Canasta, Whist, and quite a lot of Cheat when Grandad was around.  I only ever remember my father's side of the family trying to teach us Contract Bridge, at a time when my sister was a little too young to get it, so it didn't stick.

We sometimes did board games - mousetrap and cluedo were the only two I remember playing a lot.  We gave up on monopoly very quickly, when we realised every one of us was playing to end the game as fast as possible!

Dad only ever played poker and chess.  Both of which he stopped playing after he taught me how to be able to win against him 90% of the time.  He is very good at chess, his teaching got me to second place in the county's under-11 chess team.  He's teaching his grandchildren now, so I'm expecting a challenge from them next time I see them (I'm going to lose, I've not played in years)

The lack of family gaming in my youth makes me wonder where I got my urge to play games from.

Like # people like this
pam_hite_wbd_com February 15, 2024

Our family loves games of all sorts!  I cannot remember a day where we did not play a game (or at least put together a puzzle).  My favorite memory is sitting on the floor playing jacks with my grandma, she did not let us win, so the first time I beat her was magical.  She also taught us euchre, canasta, and solitaire, there was no such thing as "you are not old enough to play".   Outdoors our go to was "Kick the can", but if it was dark, "Ghost in the Graveyard".  Kept the tradition going with my kids and our favorite go to games are "Sequence" and "Peanuts".

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2024

In my family, we have 6 kids with less than 6 years from oldest to youngest (yes, my mom was basically pregnant for 6.5 years!), and we grew up in upstate New York, where winters were snowy and cold. We played a lot of games to keep us occupied when we couldn't or didn't want to go outside. 

A few of my significant memories:

• Yahtzee - we used to play this as a family on Saturday nights. Everyone could play (Mom and Dad might help the youngest add their scores); it taught us strategy and math disguised as having fun. It was also a good game because your score was based completely on your own choices—no one else could affect your score, so you couldn't get mad at anyone. I think my dad had a copier of some sort at his office in the early 1970s, so he could make us more score sheets.
  • Go to the Head of the Class - we probably had this 1967 version. It had different levels of questions—junior, intermediate, and senior—so older and younger siblings could play together. Another one for the education disguised as fun category.
  • Risk - often played in the basement on cold, snowy days—right up until the point my little brother got upset and smacked the board, spreading everyone's armies around the room. 🤯
Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2024

Playing Mille Bornes is another card game that was a fun to play too! It was kinda like a predecessor to Uno where you could improve your play, or penalize your opponents as well.  

Mille Bornes

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2024

LOTS of card games....but we also got into Atari when it first came out.  Yes ~ I'm that old.  lol

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Thanks guys for your comments! We are going to a cabin tomorrow over this long weekend and we are taking LOTS of boards games and decks of playing cards.

Ahh, Speed!  Thanks @Holly Scott 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

I re-read the title to make sure I was responding properly. My initial thought was why is everyone referring to card and board games only, and then I realized the prompt was in your family. So I had to give this some thought. 

We didn't. Period.

Not that I had a bad upbringing or came from a loveless house. My parents encouraged us to enjoy the outdoors and play with friends from a young age. I grew up in a time and place where our parents never worried where we were or who we were with - the entire neighborhood knew each other and looked out for one another. So we ran, played, explored and did a ton of tootling around on our bikes as kids. My parents never HAD to play games with us since they always allowed us to go to friends' houses and our friends into our house. 

I have absolutely no memories of playing cards, chess, checkers, backgammon or board games with my parents - or my brothers. We were each 3 years apart and always had different groups of friends. 

#TBT to simpler times...

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen and everyone in the community, 

My family used to play the game of Hand and Foot a lot when I was growing up, especially on vacations to Lake Powell! The objective of Hand and Foot is to get rid of all the cards in your "Hand" and then get into your "Foot" and then get rid of those to have the most points for your team. It is a bit complicated until you get to learn it, but it is so much fun. 

On another note, the game I loved playing the most with my numerous brothers and sisters was Sorry! I absolutely loved Sorry! So much fun trying to beat all my siblings! 
sorry.jpg

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Board games were mainly Clue, Risk, and Monopoly.  We had a neighborhood kid who liked to get us to recreate the gong show in her backyard.

Like # people like this
Sriharsha February 15, 2024

I played a lot of cricket in my childhood until I was 21. I would have missed school, but I would never have missed cricket.

#throwback-thursday

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2024

We didn't play that many games before comparing to today. Whenever I go home, I try to bring a set of board games and these days we usually play Catan, Splendor and Yamb. In the past, we mostly played Monopoly and Mensch ärgere Dich nicht (which in English would be something like Hey, Don't Get Angry). 🎲

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2024

We played a lot of cards growing up - Rummy, crazy eights, things like that. But also dominoes, Sorry, Parcheesi, checkers, and other simple board games

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2024

Growing up we played lot of games, 

Board Games, Card Games, Batmentan, Co-co (indian game), Kabadi (indian game) and mostly Cricket. 

Cycle rasing, running in sand. etc.. lot of them..

Vikram P

Like # people like this
ABR February 19, 2024

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,

What a nostalgic topic! Childhood is time for fun and games with friends and family! At our home we played quiz games and card games and board games like Ludo and Snakes and Ladders. Of these, the last two were clear favorites!

snakes and ladders.jfifludo.png

We still play it during holidays and family travels! We also played carrom sometimes! :D

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2024

I was pretty much into Carroms, Gin Rummy, Black Jack, Softball / Rounders, Board games - Monopoly, Masterpiece, Cludo, Checkers, and Video Games - Classic Sega Megadrive.

Like # people like this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2024

1.jpg

Like # people like this
AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2024

Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

I was pretty much involved  into Video Games, Snake and Ladders, Ludos,badmindon, kite flying, marbles and asta changa :P

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2024

Stay Alive (game) - Wikipedia was a big winner in our house. We still have it but there are some missing balls and the company does not do spares anymore :-(

Like # people like this
Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2024

There were a lot. I remember playing cribbage with my grandparents at a very young age... not because it was age appropriate, but more because it was what they knew how to play, so they taught me. I am now able to count to 15 very fast and in many ways. :) 

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events