cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - Summer swimming is not complete without this

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2023

It's Monday! And the middle of summer, so going for a swim sounds just about right.

To set the scene: it's a residential neighborhood in 1994, I've got my swimming suit on, towel over my shoulder, flip flops on, colored diving rings on my arm like oversized bracelets, and a velcro wallet to hold some coins, because it's time to go to the community swimming pool! For me, summer swimming is not complete without some diving rings, and spending some cash on Fun Dips at the "teen" center to wait out the lap swim time. Spending so much time at an outdoor pool also means that summer swimming indoors just seems wrong to me 🫣

small-1_8

So, when you're headed for the river, the lake, the ocean, or just a pool for some summer swimming, what are your non-negociables? A special snack? A specific game? A best friend? 

Looking forward to hearing everyone's take on a great summer swim 😀

14 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2023

Not much of a water person. But if it is summer and hot and sitting around the pool or on a boat or at the beach, a cold glass of sweet tea works really well!!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

This is a tale of two Andy's - my younger self and my adult self.

YOUNGER: I grew up along the South Shore of Long Island and my summers are a blend of memories of days spent at Robert Moses State Park (Field 5). Always had to have a big beach towel, sunglasses and flip flops - so the sand wouldn't get stuck in the sneakers and my feet wouldn't burn on the white sands! We could spend 1/2 of the days of the summer at the beach followed by ice cream. In my teenage years it went from afternoons at the beach to sunrise surfing and boogie boarding runs followed by a HUGE breakfast at a local restaurant or eggs, pancakes, waffles and juice. I was always blown away at how much we could eat after a few hours of paddling out and following the waves in. And then of course, a nap!  

OLDER: Our kids prefer a pool to the beach - when did everyone get so afraid of the sand? The must haves are sunscreen (we're more educated and intelligent about the risks of prolonged sun exposure now than we were in the 1980's and 90's), N+1 towels for the number of people we are (somehow you always need that extra one) and my kid's swimming googles - another thing I never needed by my kids won't swim without). And of course, our phones to snap some pictures, create some slo-mo's of cannonballs, and capture the memories!   

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

I think I've always been afraid of the sand, haha! Not really, but I've always been a bit squeamish about what's in the water at the beaches. 

image.png

Like # people like this
Anthony Middleton July 17, 2023

It's all about hanging out by the lakefront or at a patio bar during the summer in Chicago. I  enjoy freshly cut watermelon as a nice beach day snake. Sometimes my friends will bring baked goods to stratify our sweet tooth. 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

Watermelon definitely means summer 😊

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2023

Music!  And a book.  :)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

Ooh, what's your summer read @Laurie Sciutti ?

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2023

@Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_ ~ great question!  I'm actually looking for recommendations at the moment.  I prefer thrillers / mysteries... 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2023

My current beach read (perfect timing for it to have arrived from the librarysince I'll be camping this weekend), is Happy Place by Emily Henry. 

image.png

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

My must-haves for a day at the beach would be different depending on if the kids are joining. Beach toys, lots of snacks, and waters would be key if they're tagging along. Without them, I'd say my LaCroix, a chair, copious amounts of sunscreen, and a good book would be all I need!

I live about 20 minutes from Lake Michigan, but we don't go there often. We do have quite a few manmade lakes that we visit a few times a summer and when camping, but my kids and I definitely prefer the pools! 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

I was at the beach a couple weeks ago, and my husband and I were debating whether or not to take the aluminium beach chairs. "Hmm, we're old enough to need them" we decided, and were very happy to be able to read without hurting our backs 😆

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2023

I grew up swimming in lake michigan.  Always cold.... 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

My must-haves for a day at a pool is the resort that the pool is at! I also do not like the beach and prefer resort style pools. There are tons of resorts here in the Phoenix valley and I love doing staycations, but only if it is less than 110 degrees! My other must-haves are sunscreen, towel clips because I hate when my towels fall off my chair, and some magazines to read while relaxing! 

Like # people like this
Malka Jackson _Isos Technology_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2023

This is my second summer as a Below Knee Amputee. I just got fit for my first "water Leg" so that I can get back to the pool and beach! It will be ready next Monday and I am super excited to try it out. The freedom I feel in the water has been eluding me since my surgery and I can't wait to get back in and figure out the new normal of how this is going to work. I have been eyeing the community pool for the past month and I am ready to get in and get weightless. 

Early April is manatee snorkeling season down here and next April I am going back in the water for that! I cannot wait to get back to belly skritches and nose boops with my favorite animals in the world. 

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2023

Oh how interesting. Let us know how it goes. I bet your body will remember and the thigh muscle memory will kick in for you. But I wonder what the experience will be for you!

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

As they say in Dutch: BOMMETJE!

Bommetje.gif

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

@Amanda Barber Same here, #metoo

Like # people like this
Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 18, 2023

I love swimming and the beach and prefer it to pools. 

My non-negotiables are definitely a good book, a big towel, some water and some snacks. 

I recently went to the Mediterranean Sea for the first time. Could've stayed there forever!

Like # people like this
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2023

I just drove by the community pool I swam in growing up. That brought back some good memories and I had a major craving for a Big Red soda and a whatchamacallit candy bar.  :D

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2023

I'm not one to enjoy being in deep waters (envisioning seas and oceans), but rivers or mountain springs - count me in!

And enjoying or not, this year I will spend a week in Greece and the most important thing to me when heading to the beach would be finding a big glass of ice cold americano to accompany a nice book :) 

Like # people like this
Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2023

I am definitely team lake ;)

My wife and I recently spent our vacation at the Starnberger Lake in the south of bavaria. The water was clear and we enjoyed the panoramic view of the alps while chilling under a cooling tree. The best thing about clear lakes: No salt in your mouth, eyes, or clothes :D

Our non negociables:

• Our giant pineapple air mattresses for chilling in the water
  • Big Towels for chilling at the beach/ shore
  • Air Pods for music and napping
  • Our favorite card games
  • Snaaaacks, omg I almost forgot the snacks! ;)

Starnberger See.jpeg

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2023

OH MY GOSH!  I loved Fun Dip as a kid.  And the vanilla lik a stix was great after the powder was gone. For me, it is sun screen.... LOLOL. I burn just saying the word sun. So 100 SPF and a hat....

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events