Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday – Did you watch the Super Bowl?

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2024

Happy Monday everyone!

Monday.jpg

I typically watch the Super Bowl because it’s a good reason to eat a lot of junk food and I dig the commercials! Here are some fun facts, mostly about food, about yesterday’s game:

• This years Super Bowl was called “Super Bowl LVIII”.
  • An estimated 17.5 million Canadians tuned into the game.
  • According to the National Chicken Council, an estimated 1.38 billion wings were eaten across the United States last night.
  • According to Restaurantware, about one in seven American’s placed a takeout order with nearly 60% of those for pizza last night.
  •  And American’s buy and consume an estimated 11.2 million pounds of potato chips, 8.2 million pounds of tortilla chips, and around 140 million pounds of avocados to make guacamole!
  • A 30-second spot during this year’s game comes in with a $7 million dollar price tag or about $233,333 per second!

So, community peeps, tell us about your experience. Did you watch the Super Bowl? What team were you rooting for? Did you eat a lot of junk food during the game?

I hope you all have a great week!

23 comments

Comment

Keith Sottung February 12, 2024

It was an exciting game! My team didn't win, but as an Eagles fan, I had a good time watching it. Here's to Travis Kelce coming to play for the Eagles next year... now that he burned his coach live on air. :-) hee hee (Yes, I'm starting the rumor.) 

Like # people like this
melissa_hedge February 12, 2024

I love a good rumor! I will help spread it ;)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2024

Yes, I thought that was a very interesting moment in the game @Keith Sottung!

Like # people like this
Maya Sutton
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 12, 2024

So sad that the birds didn't make it this year! Hopefully we see the green in action next year!

Like # people like this
melissa_hedge February 12, 2024

I watched for the first time in years....my 9 year old wanted to see if Travis Kelce proposed to T-Swift! Even not caring about football at all, I really enjoyed it. My favorite thing in the past was watching the commercials. There were MANY good ones this year and Usher NAILED the halftime show! 

Also, I'm from St. Louis, Missouri so YAYYYY Cheifs won! 

And fyi, he did not propose. LOL

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

That's funny @melissa_hedge! Nope, didn't see a proposal, but saw a lot of other crazy stuff! I also enjoyed the commercials! 

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

AWESOME topic!

The one thing I really miss since "cutting cable" and relying on streaming exclusively is sports.  Because this year's Super Bowl was streamed on Paramount Plus, I got to enjoy the festivities!

I wasn't really rooting for either team, I usually hope for a well-fought contest that keeps my interest throughout the entire game.  And Super Bowl LVIII delivered!

Of course the food was a'plenty!  I had barbecue that I had made a few days before for my monthly poker outing and added chips, salsa, and guacamole.

Really good game last night!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Sounds like you had a good time @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_! Glad to hear that! I wasn't rooting for either team as well. Just having fun! And I'm sure the barbeque was delicious as I have had it and can attest that it is! 

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I am very impressed your research, @Summer_Hogan

I made my own Buffalo wings this year with homemade Buffalo sauce. Sadly though, I used our new air fryer to cook them and over-cooked them :(   Luckily, they weren't inedible. They just weren't as good as they've been in the past. 

I was hoping to see the 49'ers win.  While the overtime was exciting, it was also disappointing for me.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Well, thank you @Dave Rosenlund! Well, I guess you are in the numbers above for chicken wings! Sorry they didn't turn out as you would have liked. 

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Had a small watch party, just me and my wife.  She was rooting for whoever had the ball at the time, while I was rooting for the Chiefs.  

Very exciting last half of the game.  

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I'm don't feel a NEED to watch the Superbowl, but somehow wind up watchin every year. Usually my family and I join my father-in-law for the first half of the game at his house and then catch the second half online from home. (My father in law refuses to stay up late and actually was commenting about how the game gets later each year when we were at his house last night).

In my previous company we had a company-wide Superbowl boxes betting pool. This year I introduced it at my company and it enhanced the viewing experience for everyone that participated.

Oddly, we had Chinese Food take-out - not a Superbowl staple!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Thanks for sharing your story @Andy Gladstone! it does seem to get later every year! I actually had BBQ at a restaurant before the game so not really a Super Bowl staple either. Then I ate cookies later at home. Not a Super Bowl staple either. HAHA!

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Definitely an exciting game... several records broken, including the longest field goal (broken TWICE last night).  I've never seen an NFL player bum rush his own coach on the sideline, and I've never seen an NFL play tear an Achilles tendon celebrating with his team on the sidelines.

We enjoyed tacos, nachos, and brownies last night... no buffalo wings, and no pizza.

Like # people like this
Katherine Jones February 12, 2024

I always watch the  halftime show.  Usher put on a good one this year!  I also tune in to the Puppy Bowl.  

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Yes, all those moments were a little crazy last night @Randy O_Neal!

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2024

I watched the entire game (unusual for me) with family who were visiting from out of town. They were all rabidly rooting for San Francisco—not because they wanted them to win, but because they are tired of KC (took me back a few years to when I rooted against the Patriots because I was tired of them winning). I personally didn't care who won, but I think I was quietly rooting for KC to offset everyone else in the room.

I find it hilarious that my 2 younger sisters who knew/cared nothing about football growing up have become avid fans after having only male children.

We had the requisite overabundance of food—pulled pork, green salad and fruit (gasp, is that allowed?), shrimp cocktail, potato and tortilla chips, guacamole and something called buffalo chicken dip, cake, and something my sister made where you put 1 brownie mix in the pan, add a layer of Oreos (she used mint ones), and then another brownie mix on top then bake. I think this last was the favorite.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Thanks for sharing @Barbara Szczesniak Oh my gosh does that dessert sound decadent! I must try that one day! I was also rooting for SF to win because I'm tired of the same old Super Bowl with the same old teams winning! 

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2024

My sister said she found the recipe on the internet.

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

With how many potato chips I consumed last night, that number might be 11.3 million for 2024!!

I watched, wasn't particularly invested in either team, but found myself cheering more for the 49ers in OT. I liked that the game was close; in the past 10 or so years there have been some games where one team takes the lead and runs away with it — i think that's a bit more boring to watch if you're not a huge fan of either team. (And as a Michigander living in Minnesota... I'm never a huge fan of the teams playing in the Super Bowl!) 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

That's a lot of potato chips @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy - thanks for sharing! 

Like # people like this
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I, unfortunately, got to watch the last 15 minutes of it.

I am not a sports fan by any means and the game ended some time around 4 am my time. I couldn't sleep so watched some TV. It ended up being fairly interesting tbh ;)

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I watched it, we had friends and tacos (the friends were not the tacos, they were/are human)! I wasn't rooting for either team as I am a Ravens guy and they didn't make, and then I wanted the Lions in but of course it didn't happen.

I was rooting for the 49ers b/c my wife and I randomly pick opposing teams and whoever loses has to clean the bathroom for a month, so it is friendly banter but it's my turn to take out the toilet brush and scrub scrub scrub.

I will say the game was exciting all the way through, it didn't get boring which made it somewhat nice.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Love the competition between you and your wife @Sam Nadarajan That's fun! Sorry you lost though. I hate cleaning toilets! 

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora February 15, 2024

Choose your team wisely and hope you don't end up losing these bets.

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
Lacy Saute
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I love Super Bowl parties but I am usually just there for the snacks and camaraderie. Our snacks this year did not disappoint. I went to a party at a friend's house, helped make a bunch of pizzas, and ate entirely too much! I'm from Kansas City, of course I rooted for the Chiefs! ❤️💛

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I was in a busy supermarket yesterday, just before the game started. The cashier was a young lad and all excited. I said to him

"You're going to watch the big cricket game then?"

"YEAH!" he replied, then "wait .... what?"

There was a five second silence as he looked at me, and then finally he asked where cricket came from. Good recovery :)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

That's a funny story @Matt Doar!

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2024

I'm not a sports fan but I did watch it :) The commercials were not great this year but I was happy for the new Deadpool movie!

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

+1 on the new Deadpool movie!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

I'm excited for the new Deadpool movie too @Kristin Lyons! Now, that is stepping out of the box making a Deadpool + Wolverine movie! I'll have to take a day off to watch that as my boyfriend is not into superhero movies much. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

...and now that I know a new Deadpool movie is coming out I need to find the trailer!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

Hey fans! If you replied here, maybe you'd like to join in the fun and author of an upcoming Miscellaneous Monday post yourself?  

We currently have the following Monday's available in Q12024:

• Monday, March 11, 2024
  • Monday, March 18, 2024
  • Monday, March 25, 2024

You can claim a date by commenting on this post: 

Signups for Miscellaneous Monday: January - March 2024

And if you have a Monday you'd like in next quarter, just drop a note in the same post and I'll hold the spot for you!

Love seeing all of the engagement on this post @Summer_Hogan

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2024

All who have never written a Miscellaneous Monday post or those who have who want to contribute again, take @Andy Gladstone's advice and throw your name in! It's fun and a great way to get your name out there to others in the community! We would love to see what you come up with! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

@Andy Gladstone I will probably want one in Q3.  But I'll let you know closer to the time ;).

Like # people like this
Kythera of Anevern February 12, 2024

I did not. I wouldn't have even known it was the Super Bowl if the social media algorithms didn't show me a ton of ads, and various mailing lists I'm on weren't promoting Super Bowl weekend sales. I actually do not care for sports (of any kind) at all, so to me this was just another weekend. 😅

As much as I love cats, I don't even tune in to the Kitten Bowl. Like almost every other Super Bowl weekend before this one, I had too much hobby stuff to do, so it was nose to the recreational grindstone with well-loved TV shows that I don't need to focus on keeping me company as background noise. So for me, it was a good day nonetheless. 😽

That said, as much as I am disinterested in sports, I also don't want to dampen anyone else's fun, so I remained happy for my friends and colleagues who were excited about the big game. :] 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

That's what I call being a good sport @Kythera of Anevern 

Like # people like this
NAYANA February 12, 2024

My team won! But boy Oh boy! it was edge of the seat thriller. Good game and both teams deserved. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

Sorry I'm a day late (or I guess two?) .  I did not watch the Super Bowl this year, and I couldn't even tell you who was playing.  We were at the my in-laws farm because the kids wanted to see the cows.  In the past it has been a good excuse to make some awesome junk food, but since we were gone all day we joined the take out pizza statistic.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Sounds like it was a fun day @Jimmy Seddon!

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2024

I did not watch the super bowl but a group of friends and I hosted book club at the same time so we could indulge in all the snacks, which is easily my favorite part of this culture event. Then when I got home later in the evening I watched all the commercials and the halftime show. I think it was a win/win! 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Totally a win/win @BiancaE!

PJ Zaiac
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 14, 2024

I'm a bit late, but I actually was not tuned into the super bowl over the weekend - my partner and some friends got together for a board game night, but I was refreshing the scores once I realized the game was going to OT! Seems like it was a hard fought game from both teams 🤩

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Game night sounds more fun to me @PJ Zaiac!

HIMANSHU KUMAR February 15, 2024

Awesome topic and amazing content!!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Thank you @HIMANSHU KUMAR!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2024

I haven’t watched it the last couple years now that I’m living on the other side of the world. And I’m mostly a college football fan instead of the NFL. But hey its football and there’s junk food so 9 times out of 10. I’m in on it. it would be nice to have about 1 billion buffalo wings for Team 24!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2024

Love it @John Funk and I'm more of a college football fan too! I don't follow the NFL at all! 

Like # people like this
Ananjan_miniOrange February 17, 2024

@Summer_Hogan  Sorry for jumping in late!! These facts are too good to miss. I'm not usually glued to the Super Bowl, but after reading these amazing facts, I might have to catch the game next time 😅

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2024

Hi @Ananjan_miniOrange! Thanks for contributing and I'm glad you enjoyed the facts! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events