Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: Thanksgiving Memories

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2023

Having lived my entire life in the Midwest of the United States, it's easy to assume everyone celebrates Thanksgiving in late November... but realizing that's not the case, it is a fairly safe assumption that everyone has at one time or another celebrated family feasts for various reasons.  Some are religious in nature, some are national traditions, and some are simply family traditions... family reunions, times when you gather with friends and family over a good meal to reflect on family, friendship, and thankfulness for luck, bountiful harvests, or the blessings of God on our lives.

Whatever motivates you to celebrate those feasts - those times of thankfulness and celebration - what are your earliest or favorite memories of such events?

My earliest memories take me back more than 62-63 years... back when we had 5 generations of both my parents families around.  My paternal grandmother owned and operated a small pie shop which provided fresh fruit pies for many of the restaurants in the surrounding communities.  Each year at Thanksgiving, we would celebrate - usually at their home - along with my great-grandparents and all my aunts and uncles (I had 10 great-uncles and one great aunt on my Dad's side of the family); we would often gather around a freshly baked turkey with all the trimmings, and several of my grandma's fresh pies.  Often - when weather would permit - the men of the family would walk off their feast-induced comas by rabbit hunting in the nearby countryside.  More times than not, the rabbits were safe and sound and holed up in their burrows; the only things often to suffer the blast of their shotguns were an occasional pop can.  I felt like one of the grown-ups when I was finally able to join them.

It's easy for the years to filter out anything not idyllic in my childhood memories, but I recall those gatherings with great fondness.  This time of the year brings back such memories of gatherings of both sides of my family to celebrate life.

Please take a moment and share a treasured moment from your Thanksgiving memories.

3 comments

Comment

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

Oh, the car rides in the 1973 Ford Country Squire station wagon.  It had the fake wood on the outside and of course my brother and I had our spots splayed out in the back, coming home well after dark, looking up at the stars before nodding off on the drive home.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

The wood-paneled station wagon.  Yes....we had the "privilege" of owning one of those.  SO UGLY.  lol

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2023

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Mom's one-of-a-kind sausage stuffing and pumpkin pie still cannot be topped to this day.  She passed in 2007 but Thanksgiving always makes me feel close to her since it was Mom and Dad who had the family over every year.  I cherish every Thanksgiving memory.   🦃

Like # people like this
Ben Finn
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 22, 2023

In college I ran an orphan Thanksgiving. It was me and some international students who didnt care about the holiday. But I would cook the turkey, sometimes friends would come over to help and then everyone else would bring food for the potluck. It was good time and I really loved introducing thanksgiving to them :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events