Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: TV/Movie Marathons & Traditions!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Tonight, at 9pm my time I will be starting my own Extra Life gaming marathon, similar to what Atlassian did back in September!

This reminded me of some fun times in my younger days when movie marathons were annual traditions my friends and I would do. I know some people will take part in things like:

• Watching all the Star Wars movies around May 4th

• Watching Horror movies around Halloween

• Watching Die Hard/Home Alone/Hallmark movies at Christmas

My question to all of you: Do you follow any of the marathon traditions above? Do you do something else?
I’d love to know in the comments!

I’m not a fan of horror movies (with a couple of exceptions) so I usually skip that one. However, one additional one I used to do in the past with my friends was a summer James Bond movie marathon. There was a TV channel (TBS - The Super Station) that used to do this in the middle of the summer and in my high school years, My friends and I would take part in this. Nowadays, this seem less special since any streaming service allows you to marathon pretty much anything, but I always enjoyed the time I had watching these movies together with my friends.

Alright it’s your turn now! Tell me about your own traditions past or present, I might make them a future one for myself ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

p.s. If you are interested in what I’m doing for Extra Life, look for @CyberWolfJimmy on Twitch and various social media platforms to see what I’m doing!

12 comments

Comment

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2023

YES @Jimmy Seddon , I love this topic!

Back when I was in high school, I was involved in some community service organizations and sometimes we would have an event, as a fundraiser, of a Bad Movie Night. How it worked was that you didn't pay to get in, but to leave. The movies would become progressively 'worse' and so that you would pay less to leave, the later you stayed. It was so much fun to watch silly bad movies, having gone around to Blockbuster or something like that looking for titles like Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman ! 

Anyway, I still love to watch a bad film every now and again. The events put on by the Bristol Bad Film Club were also always excellent and I tried to go and bring friends whenever I could.

Thanks again and enjoy gaming marathon!

Like # people like this
Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 3, 2023

In Poland, there is one movie tradition – each year around the holiday time, one of the most popular channels in our country airs Home Alone. 

I know that for many families, it is a tradition to gather together in front of the screen and watch this movie for the 10000 time :D

My personal tradition is watching Twilight (don't judge me) in late fall. #teamJacob

Like # people like this
Gabriela Koleva November 3, 2023

Ah what an amazing topic @Jimmy Seddon !

I do have a few TV marathon / traditions like that.

• Extended versions for Lord of the Rings + Hobbit Marathon - Between Christmas and New Year
    • My boyfriend and I started this tradition during our first Christmas times together. He keeps saying it's a very fitting Christmas movie since it features elves, magic and old white beard man 😅
    • Before I met him, I did LotR extended versions marathon once every few years. Hobbit movies weren't a thing back then.
  • Harry Potter Marathon (attempts):
    • At least once a year either my friends or my sister will bring this one and we have tried on several occasions but I think I have only managed to succeed once (by myself funny enough) because I was busy with crafts and the movies were more at the background.
  • Hallmark Christmas RomComs
    • This one is my own personal tradition. Every year either on December 25 or 26, I will put on the latest Hallmark Christmas romantic comedy movie, wrap myself around a fluffy warm blanket and a warm drink and just enjoy the nice fuzzy feelings.
Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2023

So, every 4th of July, I crank out the "mini-marathon" of the Independence Day movies.  Just so I can see their version of the "St. Crispin's Day" speech.

giphy

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2023

Leading up to Halloween, my wife and I watch:

• Hocus Pocus
  • Bewitched (the movie with Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman)
  • Ghost Busters
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Casper

Around Christmas, we watch:

• White Christmas
  • It's A Wonderful Life
  • Die Hard
  • An unfortunately long list of Hallmark movies (I have no say in this)
  • A Christmas Story

Groundhog's Day brings:

• Groundhogs Day (obviously)

We have 6 grandchildren 10 and under, plus my wife is a retired 2nd grade teacher, so our movie tastes and choices tend toward the more innocent side of the scale... with exception of Die Hard.

Like # people like this
Halina Cudakiewicz_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 3, 2023

I usually watch Hallmark movies at Christmas. It's very relaxing :)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2023

@Jimmy Seddon good luck tonight! I won't be able to join in the watching (Shabbos) but will be thinking of you! Anyone else that wants to help support Jimmy in this special cause, this is the link to his Extra Life Fundraising Page.

I have a tradition of riding an indoor century each year on Zwift, usually in the next few weeks after the clocks change. It usually takes about five hours and a bit, so I queue up two Marvel Universe movies to play back-to-back on a second screen to distract me from the monotony and pain. I've done the following:

• Captain America: The First Avenger - The Avengers
  • Thor - Thor: The Dark World
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron - Captain America: Civil War
  • Doctor Strange - Avengers: Infinity War

Not sure yet what this year will be. I do have some Spiderman films to catch up on, but may just do a Wakanda theme.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2023

It would be a blast to watch a Bond marathon, but I have a challenge freeing up the time for that.

These days, I end up making my own marathons to watch.  If there's a show on TV, (especially the Nostalgia channels) they tend to show the episodes in order, so I set the DVR and start watching from the beginning.  Star Trek series, Hogan's Heroes, Knight Rider, etc.  

Or take advantage of streaming services and binge watch.  

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2023

So for me, it just isn't Christmas if I haven't re-watched Elf, Die Hard and A Christmas Story.  I will never get tired of watching those movies.  🎅🏻🎄

@Valerie Knapp ~ I LOVE the Bad Movie Night idea.  That sounds awesome.  😂

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 3, 2023

Film & TV is my favourite topic, @Jimmy Seddon ! Good luck today with your gaming marathon! 😄

I like watching horror films near Halloween and Hallmark style rom coms around Christmas, but the closest I get to a movie marathon these days is for my sister's birthday! She's a big Spider-Man fan, and we loved the original trilogy when we were growing up. So every year near her birthday, we watch at least Spider-Man & Spider-Man 2... sometimes we get around to watching Spider-Man 3 if we feel up to it 😅

Like # people like this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2023

As soon as it starts to be autumn-ish I start Gilmore Girls. Lorelai and Roy Gilmore accompany me through autumn and winter. 🍁☕️

Also I'm a BIG fan of Christmas movies once December 1st is here. I always check new releases but I'm also a girl who falls back on well-known and proven movies. 😉

Preston VanSanden
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 14, 2023

Love this! 

Every year on my birthday, I start my yearly rewatch of Cowboy Bebop. On year 5 or 6. 

3.2.1. Let's Jam:

whatever-happens-cowboy-bebop.gif

My birthday is toward the end of the year and I always find it puts me into a good mood for the upcoming year.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events