Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown users in my Atlassian directory

Christoph Lunner September 29, 2021

Hi all,

I have a - in my view - somewhat delicate problem and I am not entirely sure where to raise it.

I used to work in a company that used Atlassian apps (let's call it @lastjob.com) until April this year.

Some time during summer, I decided to set up an Atlassian account for private use, on my personal domain (@personal.com). I would mostly use it on my own, so I was the  only user (=admin) on this instance. Never invited another person or 

In early September, I reviewed my account settings and realised that there were over 60 users on my instance, all from the @lastjob.com domain. All those users were inactive, but still: I never sent any kind of invitation to 60 people. I have to add that there were many names I had never heard before.

So I tried to reach out to Atlassian support, but didn't find an appropriate category/channel as a free user.

I do believe this should be investigated by Atlassian.

Has anybody experienced something similar? 

How do I get attention of someone in Atlassian? I don't think this is a standard request (but am glad to be proven otherwise).

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Hi @Christoph Lunner 

Did you set up a Service Management jira instance and allow ‘customers’ to self register as users?

Hi Tom

No I have not.

Also, there would be no reason for that many users to register on my instance (as I am not working or affiliated with this company any longer).

The high number of "unknown users" indicates that this was not manually triggered by the users themselves. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Ok

any data imports?

Like Christoph Lunner likes this

I think I have imported a set of pages from an archived Confluence space, which originated in @lastjob.com. 

Catherine September 29, 2021

When you import issues any reference to a user (comment, reporter, watcher, …) will import them into your instance as in inactive user. This will ensure you do not lose any reference to who did what on the issues.

During a CSV import you have a chance to review the fields before importing. I always check the user fields to review on import because many names come through wrong if referenced by display name vs email.

If you import in any of the user fields you will get a lot of UNKNOWN or blank for the user reference. 

Like # people like this

Oooh, I had no idea. Thanks for that! :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events