Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Intelligence and Data Security

Camilla Zehetbauer April 21, 2023

Hi everyone, 

I'm not quite sure where to post this or ask this, so please let me know if this is not the right space, then I'll delete this post.

With Atlassian announcing its collaboration with OpenAI and the subsequent introduction of Atlassian Intelligence (which does sound great), I was wondering what will happen to our data.

Will the Atlassian Intelligence assistant only train on the data of the Confluence (or Jira) instance it is assigned to (so does each company have their own unique assistant)? Or will the AI use all data of all companies that use it to advance its capabilites?

I do not mean the latter option to be that company A can ask a question that will then be answered because the AI learned the answer in company B's database -  I am quite sure that that will not happen.

But even if the AI only uses anonymised or generalized data from all companies that use it, I would like to know that beforehand. The knowledge in our Confluence is our intellectual property, and I am not okay with sharing that in any capacity that I am not informed in prior to the sharing.

So my question is: Is there any info what will happen with our data? And is anyone else concerned about this?

1 comment

Comment

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

Hi @Camilla Zehetbauer ,

You're not the only one concerned about this, how private data is handled was top of mind for me, too.

I was lucky enough to get a hands-on demo last week where I could ask this question. IIRC, Atlassian does use OpenAI's LLM, but does not send any data out of the Atlassian infrastructure. In fact, every request made towards AI is only run in the context of the originating user, ie only information that is available to the user is available to AI when a question is answered. 

On the website, Atlassian refers to their Privacy Policy and Principles, which – in my understanding – would not allow them to use customer data to train models. 

Would be great to have someone knowledgeable from Atlassian to elaborate on this.

Like # people like this
Camilla Zehetbauer April 27, 2023

Hi @Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_,

thank you so much for the insight.

It is good to hear that the AI will be used in that way, i.e. will only use information in the context of the originating user. That does put a lot of my worries at ease.

But I agree, it would be great to have Atlassian elaborate a bit more on this as data use in the context of AI is such a new field (at least to me).

Andreas Springer _Actonic_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2023

I have learned at Team 23 from Atlassian itself that they have a special agreement in place with OpenAI that forbids them to use any data that is being submitted for training purposes or sharing it with anyone.

That is why there will be a separate EULA for users to sign before they start using Atlassian Intelligence. The first time in Atlassian history that there is a separate agreement for a new feature.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events