Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Data Residency in Germany

Hi everyone,

My name is Fili and I’m a Principal Product Manager on Enterprise Trust. I’m here to announce the launch of data residency in Germany 🎉! We're thrilled to expand our data residency capabilities into a 4th region to ensure that you have the controls you need to be successful in cloud.

The security and privacy of your data are of the utmost importance to us and underpin all the work we do at Atlassian. We are proud of the secure platform we’ve built in cloud and strive to continue to offer you the ability to decide how and where your data is managed. With data residency, you have greater flexibility and control to design the data strategy that makes the most sense for your business.

This launch marks another milestone for the work we’ve accomplished in data residency, but we're not finished. We plan to expand these capabilities to the UK, Japan, and Canada late next year. 

Starting November 7th, new and existing instances will have access to this new region. This will be a phased rollout over the next few weeks, so if you don't see Germany today, try again the following week. All instances should have access to this region by Dec 5th.

image-20220927-111208.png

Data residency is just one of a number of security and privacy updates we’re planning in the next year. We’re also launching HIPAA in Jira Service Management, EAPs for bring-your-own-key encryption and external user security, audit log improvements, and app access controls in the next few months. To track the development of these features and when you can expect them in cloud, subscribe to them on our cloud roadmap.

If you have any questions, feel free to share them below.

Thanks,

Fili

30 comments

Comment

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

@Filiberto Selvas thank you for sharing this!

Any more countries besides those mentioned on the roadmap? Are you targeting on the bigger markets, right?

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

We have UK, Canada and Japan in the roadmap.  The dates are about to be updated from what you see there today as these project have slipped, but we continue to work toward. expanding: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?category=dataManagement& 

There will be more regions after that, but we have not made a final decision yet. Key candidates are Switzerland, India and Brazil.

Like # people like this
Alex Akilov November 7, 2022

We're getting a lot of scrutiny now over the data residency handling of marketplace addons.  Is there someone we can connect our legal and security teams with to help alleviate their concerns?  It's impractical to reach out to every marketplace vendor to validate their residency handling, so it would be helpful if we could reach out to the right contact at Atlassian to address it for all of the addons we're using.

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2022

@Sushant Bista , can you help me address @Alex Akilov question above? 

Roger Friederich November 7, 2022

Thanks. This is good news! Will it eventually be possible to apply data residency also to "unpinned / out-of-scope data "? It would be of great help if out-of-scope data could at least reside within the EU. As a result of this distinction, we've recently lost a larger deal.

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2022

Thank you for the comment @Roger Friederich , 

Could you share more specifics about which data sets were the ones that affected that deal?  if you prefer to email I am fselvas at Atlassian dot com 

Like Roger Friederich likes this
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

Thank you for the post @Filiberto Selvas 

For any new Jira sites getting created, the below page is still valid correct?

https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2022

Correct @Vish Reddy _Revyz_ 

Like Vish Reddy _Revyz_ likes this
Selvambikai K November 8, 2022

Do we have dta residency in singapore for atlassian cloud?  I could see singapore under global not separte like other regions kidy clarify we need to rwply to singapore government project tender for Atlassian ITSM

Ellen Daleng November 9, 2022

Also interested in the unpinned data (user data) that still seems to be located in the US - breaking deals for us Europeans.

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2022

Hello @Selvambikai K ,  We do not offer Data Residency in Singapore yet and we don't have an specific timeframe for it. 

@Ellen Daleng , please see : https://www.atlassian.com/trust/privacy/latest-updates/international-data-transfers    we have many European customers in highly regulated industries using our Cloud offerings today. 

Remie Bolte November 9, 2022

Sounds great. Would have been even greater if you would have notified Atlassian Marketplace Partners prior to doing the public announcement. Would be a pity if end-users realise that their favourite apps do not support the new Data Residency region upon selecting it.

Like # people like this
Selvambikai K November 10, 2022

Thank you for response. If data residency not in Singapore, I could see Under Global , Singapore is listing what does it mean ? Kindly clarify

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2022

Hi  @Selvambikai K ,

When a product instance is set to Data Residency =  "Global" the data may be at any of the locations that are listed under it. 

I hope that clarifies it 

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2022

@Remie Bolte , I regret this took you by surprise.  We have had the item in our public roadmap at least since May this year 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 14, 2022

@Filiberto Selvas, when can we expect this page to be updated?

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2022

Shortly @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira , I was asking the same internally

Maggie Norby Adams
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2022

@Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira we plan to update public-facing Data Residency materials about Marketplace apps early next year, aligned to the next data residency for apps milestone. For a more detailed update on the upcoming data residency for apps milestones, please see the Data Residency space in the Developer Community. 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2022

Hi @Maggie Norby Adams, thanks, that sounds great and I'm looking forward to it.

My question was specifically about support for the new Germany region in Connect apps. As discussed in the linked documentation, I can already support "eu", "us", and "au" in my Connect app's descriptor, and I'm now wondering how to specify Germany in this descriptor. Is this "eu-de"? Or just "de"? Or something completely different?

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Maggie Norby Adams
Atlassian Team
November 18, 2022

@Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira We'll have updated documentation on this soon ! Keep an eye out in our developer channels 👀

Roger Friederich November 19, 2022

@Filiberto Selvas You asked which out-of-scope datasets caused us loosing a deal. It's simple: Customer and User account data. I.e. all data which is considered to be person-related data according to GDPR.
Data sensitive customers would eventually want all of "their" data to reside within the EU. 

Like # people like this
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2022

Thank you @Roger Friederich , this is valuable input and sensible point based on regulation trends 

Like Roger Friederich likes this
Andreas Kemper November 23, 2022

Hello all,
we are using Jira Software and Confluence.
According to information from Jira Support, user data is generally stored accross all six hosting locations.
This means that it cannot be guaranteed that user data is stored exclusively in the EU.
This does not comply with the (German) DSGVO regulations.
Correct?

Like # people like this
Michael Ziegler December 29, 2022

hello !
i am also interessted to get an answer to the question above (Andreas Kemper asked) !

thx

Like # people like this
Maria Ahvenlampi January 11, 2023

Hello, 

Just giving +1 for the question @Andreas Kemper has asked. 

I actually think that this question is reasonable topic to post as its own separate question.

I'm going to check if there is anything similar posted on the community forum already, will let u know!

Br,

Maria A

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events