Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is adding members too much?

Wade Wilson October 21, 2023

I am not getting responses from the members added to the boards and cards because they are overwhelmed with all the notifications. So What is a good rule for adding members to cards and boards to not overwhelm them?

2 answers

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2023

Hey @Wade Wilson welcome to the community! Perhaps another way of saying what David was saying was - Trello is super flexible and for better or worse there are no right or wrong rules, it's like a box of legos that you can customize however you like!

As far as what's too many notifications, I do agree that asking folks whats most relevant to them can help. But you can also technically set up a couple things to keep it under control. 

1) users can go to their email settings and opt for combining notifications and just getting a recap email once a day instead of instant notifications every time something happens

2) I actually recommend helping people understand filters because then they can get in the habit of checking Trello to find what they need rather than relying on notifications. For instance, you can use board filters to view only your cards that are due this week. Or cards with a specific label. (More details about filters here.)

3) You can also create more "important" notifications with Butler/Trello automation to send emails to people when specific actions happen. This is a bit more advanced, but you could have folks turn off notifications and then send emails through automation when very specific things happen.

Wade Wilson October 24, 2023

Thank you Brittany!

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2023

"What is a good rule for adding members to cards and boards to not overwhelm them?"

Common sense?

Trello is just a tool that's doing what you're telling it to do. Sorry to break the news Wade, but it's your work practice that is the cause of the problem :)

Liaise with the people affected and ask them what they think would be acceptable, and adapt your practice to meet their requirements.

Wade Wilson October 24, 2023

I am trying to set work practices in the work community. I have come into the project with existing habits and practices. I am trying to clean up communication in an app that is new to me. I thought it would be better to ask the professional community what best practices are and not the ones screwing things up. That seems to be "common sense"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events