repeat cards with new due date

希 和音 April 18, 2022

I've transferred from Asana recently.  In Asana, when I set a repeat function, as soon as I complete a task (card), it generates a new due date according to the repeat rule I set.  That way, I can always see all the tasks that need to be done on any given day.  This helps when I assign new tasks... to not overload with too many tasks on any given day.  

I tried the card repeater in Trello, but maybe I am still not getting the full picture of this power-up...

Apparently, it functions totally unrelated to due dates? I found a mention that I need to create a list for repeat cards... But, if the repeat card is created on the day scheduled by the card repeater, I wouldn't know about it until the very day... or I have to click the repeat card to see when it's due next time... which would be kind of ridiculous...

I also use the dashcard power-up to track my tasks across all the boards for today and for the next 7 days, but again, I don't see the repeat cards show up there... naturally because they don't have due dates.

I really like Trello so far, but this is almost detrimental that I cannot have an accurate full picture of everything that needs to be done for the next 7 days or so.

Can someone explain if I am missing something or a way around it?  Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2022

@希 和音 

If my understanding is correct, what you want is to change the due date when certain condition is met. Then you can rename card name with an append "New Due Date: {date+7d}" aka make due date 7 days from now.

Set another trigger 

when I enter a card name containing a date after "New Due Date:" set due on the date and remove the matched text

希 和音 April 18, 2022

Thank you for the response, but I don't think I follow what you are suggesting.  How do I trigger (upon the completion of the card) the change to a new due date based on certain conditions on each card basis?  

And, why would I rename the card?  

Can you clarify?  And, I am afraid I need step-by-step instruction for I am very new to Trello (like 3 days).  

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2022

@希 和音 

It depends on what you want. You can indicate a move to "Complete" list as a way to indicate completion, or check off the checkbox next to the due date....etc. 

希 和音 April 19, 2022

I don't feel you understand what I am getting at... or I don't understand what you mean at all.  Let me give you an example.

Let's say, I have a card "adjust delivery date" which should repeat every 2 months.  

Assume today was the day, so I adjust the date and check off the card as complete.  As soon as I check off the card as complete, I want another card created automatically which is exactly the same but with a new due date that is 2 month down the road.  Is there a way to do that?  

I want the card to appear right then and there with a new due date in the date field so that it will appear on my calendar.

Please show me how I can do this.  

Thank you.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2022

@希 和音 
Assuming you are not using a card repeater power up, you can create a new card with {triggercardname} New Due Date: {date+7d} it should have the same effect. Copy has a different effect since old data will be copied over but it depends on your requirements. 

希 和音 April 19, 2022

Thank you.  But what do you mean by "create a new card with {triggercardname} New Due Date: {date+7d}"?  

It sounds like programming, and I don't have programming knowledge...

So in my prior example of "adjust delivery date"... do I create a new card with "adjust delivery date"... I assume that's what you mean?  Tell me if I am already lost here.  

And then where do I put  {date+7d}?  In the date field, I can only select the date...

I tried the card repeater but it does NOT do what I need.  It doesn't show up right away, I mean popping up on the very next due date is way too late... AND it doesn't fill in the due date in the date field either so I can't track.  AND, It calculates from the date of the card created, and not from the due date.  Frankly, I don't really see the value in that power-up.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2022

@希 和音 

I understand you are new. In fact if you are creating a new card you can just using the template like

when the due date is marked as complete in a card with a name starting with Special {*}
create a new card with title
in list
, and set due in 23 days
There is not need to use the earlier method.
希 和音 April 19, 2022

Yes indeed, I am a total newbie on Trello!

OK.  That command sounds like exactly what I am looking for...  

Where is the template?  What are the steps to create a card with that command/template?  Is there a tutorial video for that?  

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2022

@希 和音 

I don't have a collection of videos handy but I am sure you can find some on the internet. 

希 和音 April 19, 2022

I finally got it.  You were talking about Butler, creating a rule... If you had mentioned creating a rule using Butler, I would have gotten it...  I thought I was somehow supposed to do the set up within a card. And, I didn't know that I could create a rule for each task...

Thank you.  It means I am going to have a lot of rules... but I guess I can use the command library.  

Alejandro Valdes August 14, 2022

Want to jump in here with a similar request which might also help with the originally inquiry.

I have a task <PayTax> I need to do every month by day 20.

I did a card that repeats every day 15 and goes to my "task backlog" so I can see it in that list (and work on it). But I need those repeat cards to always have a due date of the 20th. So that in my "Table Views" I can see that task in the upcoming Due Dates.

How would I create a rule that always sets a due date (created date+5) ONLY to that repeating card <PayTax>. Something like set a due date for card <PayTax> of Create date+5?

And ideally, be able to have an "Automation button" to easily apply this rule to other repeating cards not necesarily with same name. 

Lets say I create a new card <QuarterlyTax> and repeats quarterly on day1. I'd need that newly created card <QuarterlyTax> to be due on the 5th.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events