Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pasting image changes the file size

CGPB February 11, 2021

It's more of a situation than a question here. 

I have a .jpg image, 1048x494, 193 kb. If i attach the image to the card as an attachment, the file size remains the same. However if I copy the image within photoshop and paste onto the card, it will create a 16 mb png.

I've been using trello for close to 5 years and I just found this out recently. I checked with my colleagues and nobody noticed it either. 

ADDING IMAGE BY PASTING RATHER THAN UPLOADING AS ATTACHMENT SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE THE SIZE OF YOUR CARD.

1 answer

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

Hi @CGPB ,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Can you please share some screenshots?

If you upload or copy/paste the file it will have the same size of file!

If you copy from photoshop it will create a PSD file, not PNG, and PSD files are very large files than a normal image like jpg, png, gif, etc because PSD files have got some more data inside them.

CGPB February 11, 2021

difference.jpg

there you go, same image, the one on the top is a .jpg. sized 4000x2338 @ 72 dpi, saved with quality lv 8, file size 1.43 mb

the bottom one sized 14.52 mb, it's a png file generated by trello. I achieved such result by performing actions listed below:

open the 1.43 mb jpg in photoshop

Ctrl A (select all region)

Ctrl C (copy)

go to trello card

Ctrl V (paste)

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
CGPB February 11, 2021

as you can see, not a PSD was created, at least it was not named by trello. 

so it made me curious, therefore I did another test, without having photoshop involved at all. 

here is another image I found randomly online

test_again.jpg

if I save the image, I will get a file of 136kb

test_window.jpg

however if I right click and copy the image on internet then paste it onto the trello card, I then get a 1.19mb png

test_final.jpg

so it has nothing to do with photoshop. It has everything to do with how trello calculate uploaded file and copy/paste file. 

Is there any help file tells the user upload image files rather than copy/paste. If there isn't any, then there should be, because I can see how often copy/paste functions appear in our life. 

I'm an art teacher and we use trello for homeworks. I'm sure you can imagine how huge our board becomes at the end of the semester. 

CGPB February 11, 2021

AND here's another even more bizarre situation, which unfortunately I didn't not screenshots to prove. 

I once pasted the a image twice and got two difference sized png. one 10 times of the original, and one 100 times of the original. unfortunately I didn't screen capture the result and can not recreate the "bug"

LOL I feel like a QA test at the moment!

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

Hi @CGPB 

The thing is when the image gets more data on it increases its size!

It's not a Trello's issue! It is happening because of copy/paste from different places!

When Trello is getting those images that have more metadata or similar data inside the file which can't be seen in the image visually it increases and decreases its size automatically!

If you think it was a bug in Trello, you can definitely ask Trello support!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events