moving from smartsheet to Trello

Steve O'Hara November 9, 2018

Hi Everyone, we're finally coming into the light and would appreciate any advice on the best way to get our stuff out of Smartsheet into Trello.

Cheers - Steve

2 answers

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2018

@Steve O'Hara SmartSheet and Trello handle things in pretty fundamentally different ways, so there may not be a one-to-one mapping and it will sort of depend on how you structure things in smartsheet, HOWEVER, if you get your data out of smartsheet into a CSV file then you can use import2 to get it all into Trello:

https://wizard.import2.com/apps/trello

When I moved from Basecamp Classic to Trello, I actually wrote a custom API script that would read all my data from my Basecamp export XML and put it into Trello where each project was a board, each todo list a list, each todo list item a card and each todo list item comment was a card comment.

I did a separate import that preserved a map of how milestones related to todo lists, but there wasn't a direct relationship in Trello that allowed me to preserve that.

The most important thing for me was to preserve all the discussions so I could search for them later. Ultimately the way I structure things is completely different from how they were structured in Basecamp so even though I got all my data in there, that was just the sort of start off point and my workflows have been through many iterations since.

0 votes
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2018

Iain had great tips for you. I know from moving from one system to another in my unit we took it as an opportunity to do some cleaning up of content and only moved over what we wanted to keep for team collaboration. We also did this as a slower transition to ensure teams were trained and comfortable on how to use the features, without too much content and cards to overwhelm them.

Great to hear you are moving to Trello, you and your team are going to love it!

Jodi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events