Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to update the custom field via rule trigger by description content?

Tammy Shi July 27, 2022

process and questions:

• 1.  the card is created by "Email-to-board" function
  • the description has various field such as Country, Business Unit etc.
  • The format is stable  Country: {countryname} such as in below red rectangle.
  • when the countryname parameter is Philippines,  prefer to have an automation rule to select  Philippines in the dropdown custom field Country.

How to set the rules??

• trello country.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tammy Shi August 1, 2022

when the description of a card contains "Created From:{*}\nRequestor Email:{*}\nCountry:{*}\nCategory:{*}\nBusiness Unit:{*}\nService Start Date:{*}\nEND", set custom field "Created From" to "{wildcard1}", set custom field "Email Id" to "{wildcard2}", set custom field "Country" to "{wildcard3}", set custom field "Category" to "{wildcard4}", set custom field "Business Unit" to "{wildcard5}", and set custom field "Service Start Date" to "{wildcard6}"

Tammy Shi August 1, 2022

to avoid impact by the others rule, we did some exactly match. as above

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2022

@Tammy Shi 

:) you got it. Just remember is approach is very sensitive changes and that the content itself does not contain any of the keys (delimiters).

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2022

@Tammy Shi 

My guess is using wildcard would work. Just try {*}Country:{*}\n{*} and see if {wildcard2} gives you the country. 

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2022

@Tammy Shi i would say there's probably a way to do this with regex, but my regex is not advanced enough and i think it might actually be a bit complex - i think maybe something like (?<=Country: ).*

So that should return whatever is in the card description after country, so i think you'd probably need a couple rules set up to do this, one for each field, so your trigger would be something about when a card is added, then you can add the action to update the custom field country with that value- but I'm not sure the value you'd put there, as the regex above would pull the value, but i don't know if it would work to combine a butler variable with the regex. Ie, you basically want to update something like {carddesction}regex:/.(?<=Country: )./*  but i don't know exactly if that's how that would work. @milynnus is the go to expert for this kind of stuff!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events