Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I change colours of cards on timeline view in Trello

Anna Grundy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 23, 2021

I want to be able to theme by colour codes as i can on a normal board how do i get these visible in the timeline view  ? Thank you ..

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2021

Hi Anna,

Unfortunately the timeline view on Trello doesn't offer this feature at the moment. The only additional information you can see with this view is the team members assigned to the card. Take a look here: Trello Timeline View Guide 

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help! I'm more than happy to help if you have any more questions 😊

All the best,

Laura

Aldus Simmons
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 2, 2021

Laura, I know this is recent but is this stull a feature that is unavailable? 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Hi @Aldus Simmons 👋

It is indeed though stay tuned as Trello release updates all the time! If I spot any changes I'll drop you a message here 😃

Have a great day!

Like Frank Endrikat likes this
Mark Pawson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 25, 2021

The timeline view is the only reason I upgraded, being a very visual person I NEED the color-changing ability on the timeline.

PLEASE... when will this be active?

Like # people like this
Kit Teng Desoete
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 15, 2021

Same here, really need more visual aids for the timeline view. Color options would be an excellent start 😊

Like # people like this
Thomas Bentley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 12, 2021

Same here. We would also love to manually add some colour to the timeline. It would be nice if you could use the label colour also.

Like # people like this
Adam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 12, 2021

Agreed, Colour is so helpful in timeline view. It would speed up efficiency when planning and ammending timelines

Like Mischa Early likes this
Freelancin' Susan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 21, 2021

Yessss Pleeeeeze!

I am a content writer with ADHD and cannot function without colors, shapes, images, etc. When my clients are staring at me, I can prioritize more effectively.

Having images of them with color-coded borders gives me the flexibility of using their headshot or their color for all of the assets I create.

The board view (below) works great for me, but the timeline view (below) is a meaningless set of dots and dashes. BUT I need this view to see the distribution of my deadlines so I don't over-commit.

It would be a great start to allow stickers and/or let us toggle labels on and off - maybe that is a less complex update than adding characteristics specifically for timeline view.

Thanks!!

Trello Request Color Coding on Timeline 1.pngTrello Request Color Coding on Timeline 2.png

Like # people like this
Jahdon Quinlan January 18, 2023

I am on a trial of premium and the lack of colour makes it really hard to properly use as a gantt.. Why wouldnt trello make this a feature from the get go via label or cover colours? very disappointing 

Like # people like this
Matthieu Gaillet February 17, 2023

Hi @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ it's been a while now that this so basic feature has been asked. Is there any plan to colorize the cards on the timeline view ? It's so disappointing ! 

Thanks

Matthieu

Like # people like this
caroline
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 24, 2023

@Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ Also adding to the replies that are asking when this is going to be made available? I'm trying to build a roadmap and using the colours in the board view, but really frustrating that it doesn't translate over to the timeline. It's so bland! It needs to be engaging for our stakeholders as we walk them through and colour would really help.

Like # people like this
Camilo Fontecilla
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

In to add to the chorus of bewilderment and displeasure that this glaringly obvious feature doesn't exist. 

Like Mischa Early likes this
Mischa Early
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 30, 2023

@Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_  Will this feature be coming soon? Preferably also with an option where as well as being able to colour code/display labels, activities marked as done show as such in the timeline. I currently have to scroll through endless grey bars to find cards as there's no colour seperation, and then go in to the card information to see if it's completed or not as it doesn't display on the main view.

Ludovic CHARTOUNI
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 27, 2023

Lack of Color in the Timeline is a big lack on Trello.

I've switched from Clickup to Trello and for me 3 big options are lacking on trello :

- The List view (They all hae it : Monday, Clickup, ASANA, Notion...)

- Lack of color in Timeline

- Lack of Gantt view (without using Power up view).

When I'll get these options I will be 100% happy with Trello

Sebastiao Miranda
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 18, 2024

Any news on this ? This is really a deal breaker for the Timeline feature and thus Trello Premium itself since that's a major feature. 

7 votes
Chris Bardell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2022

Been quite some time now, and this enhancement has not appeared. It would be such an obvious improvement for project planning and management, and I honestly wouldn't imagine it would be all that hard to achieve. Is there any way that this can be moved up the queue? Thanks.

Agreed 

Like # people like this
5 votes
John Dashiell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 9, 2022

Just paid for Pro specifically for the timeline... that I guess I'll never use since its pretty pointless for me without color.

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2023

Hi @Jahdon Quinlan I'm afraid not 😕

Carol Silva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 9, 2024

Hello @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ any news on that? Almos 3 years now from the first post...

2 votes
Andrea Baldoni February 20, 2023

Hi everyone,

altough it is not a perfect solution, I found one that works for me.

I created some free members and I am adding them to the cards.

Each member has a different pinball that will be shown in the card in the timeline with a different colour. I assigned a specific meaning to each pinball colour.

In this way I can have cards with different coloured pinballs according to the member I added.

I know it is weird but at least it works for me.

Martin Heineberg October 20, 2023

We thought about this solution aswell, it is not perfect but it gives us some idea. Only problem is when you have multiple members on the cards. 

1 vote
Tomas Scaglia
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2022

Hi guys!
Are there any updates on this feature, it would be really helpful for us to have a timeline view with colors.

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Marketing Spectrum
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2023

Hi team Trello, 

I'm a happy user of the Trello Kanban, but like others the design limitations do take back a bit of the joy. 

I tried the trial for the calendar view and ended up here. I must say I'm dissapointed that something that should be a quite easy feature, asked for by the community, hasn't been implemented. Since march 2021! 

If the cards could be color coded, I would instantly sign up for the premium plan. But the overview is really confusion without colors. Isn't that what Trello is about? Helping people organise and plan their work?

I hope to get an answer whether this feature is coming / planned / on the roadmap or not. 

Kind regards, 
Michael

0 votes
tomaski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 21, 2023

WOW. Such a basic feature missing. I'm so happy I went first with the trial so that I know now I won't be buying the Premium for my team. Gotta have to stick to using multiple tools for multiple purposes 😞

Frank Endrikat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 1, 2023

Support!

0 votes
Matthieu Gaillet August 16, 2023

Hi @Laura 

Just wanted to Up this question that stays without answer for so long now... Please, a statement wether you're planning to add this missing feature or not would be the very least we can expect for a paid product.

Frank Endrikat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 1, 2023

Support! This is a real important piece missing here, that is very basic functionality!

0 votes
Jordan Maris February 2, 2023

Totally agree too, this feature should be standard

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2022

Hello everyone :) Planyway can help with color-coding cards on the calendar (free option) and timeline (paid option). It syncs with your Trello labels and you can assign them to cards right in Planyway. 

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 18.05.01.png

I'm from the Planyway team, so feel free to ask questions if you have any

Preethi Vaidyanathan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 27, 2023

Hi, I really wanted this to work, but adding a Trello card to planyway gets rid of all the labels I had on that card, which makes it unusable :(

Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2023

Hi @Preethi Vaidyanathan, by default Planyway colors cards on the timeline according to the 1st label of a card.

You can change that in the View settings if needed. To see all labels on a card, you can switch to the “no color” option:

card color.png

Hope this helps,
Tania

Preethi Vaidyanathan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 3, 2023

very helpful, thanks!

Like Maria likes this
0 votes
Kasey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 25, 2021

Totally agree, such a shame! Its so frustrating to be so plain, way less user friendly and surely adding colour can't be that hard to do??? Would love to see this happen - does anyone know if its even on their Radar??

0 votes
Deleted user November 20, 2021

Same here, I´m planning to use Teamgantt while Trello does not offert colour options :/

Lisa Sherlock
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 24, 2022

I just added Planyway and it adds colours! Had to redo the dates, but that's ok. Also adds milestones as timeline flags. Probably does heaps more, but I've only been in there a minute! 

Like Maria likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events