Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gather notes from lists across multiple boards

IvanMalek June 11, 2020

Hi, as a small contractor and really new to Trello, I'm mostly working on multiple longer-term projects and some shorter-term projects in between at the same time. I hoped to set up a system, where I would have a board for every project and then have a main board, that would help me keep track of all the active projects, quotes, non-project tasks and so on. But it would help things a lot, if I were able to set up a TO DO list, that would gather all the TO DO cards from all the other boards.

Ideally, this should happen automatically based on a naming scheme. Something like: The main TO DO list searches all my boards and gathers all the cards from all the lists called "TO DO" it can find. But also, the cards should remain linked. So when I edit or archive a card in the main TO DO list, the change should also carry over to the original card in the project-specific board.

I found the Unito Power-Up should be able to do something similar, but seems to require manual setup for every sync pair outside of Trello, which is not ideal when I deal with lots of smaller one- or two- week projects.

This functionality seems like something really useful and basic, that I'd expect Trello to offer by default. Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2020

@IvanMalek I quite commonly use a "board of boards" approach, where each project is represented by a card on the overview board, linked to a board where all the specific tasks reside.

If you want to avoid clicking through to each board so often, you could gather just the cards from the "Doing" list, for example, into a linked checklist on the overview card once per day and update the state on the card (for example by completing checklist items, moving lists, adding labels and so on) when things happen inside each of the project boards.

The first part of this (the board of boards approach) is one of the examples I use in my introduction to the Trellinator automation framework:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

The only trouble with this is that each person then has an issue keeping track of all the tasks they've been added to across all boards in a view where they can be reprioritised. The Cards view in Trello provides a view of all cards you're added to, but the only way you can sort them is by board or due date. I created a second integration that resolves this issue by putting a linked copy of any card you're added to in a personal Inbox:

http://trello.com/integrations/#benkoboard

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events