Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disabling users not to delete files

Macylene Jongwe August 23, 2021

Hi, is there a way l can disable users not to delete uploaded files from Trello, or  a way to give permission to certain users not to delete

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Hi @Macylene Jongwe ðŸ‘‹

Trello's user permissions are tied to the subscription you have with them, when it comes to permissions on a board, there are different types of Trello users:

• Invited Members - An invited user is someone who has been invited to a board but hasn't yet confirmed their account. Their user icon will appear to be grayed out in the Members area of the board.
  • Board Members  - A 'Normal' member is simply a member of a board. Normal members can edit or add to the board without restrictions.
  • Observers  - An observer is a member with read-only access to a board. (Observers are only available to Workspaces with Trello Business Class).
  • Workspace Members - A Workspace member is someone who has been added as a member of that Workspace. They will be able to see boards that are Workspace visible. Workspace members appear in the Members tab for that Workspace.
  • Guest - A normal member on the board. Guests are not members of the Workspace that the boards belong to.
  • Board Admin - A board admin is a member of the board who can do anything on the board. Board admins are marked by the blue and white chevron in the bottom right corner of their avatar.

If you're only wanting to limit users deleting uploaded documents you would have to mark them as Observers if you have Business Class, however this would mean they wouldn't be able to edit or delete anything not just documents.

The best approach I find, depending on the number of users, is to sometimes have a small column with board etiquette listing what users can and can't do within the board. 

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions 😃

All the best,

Laura

0 votes
Dasha Shakov September 8, 2021

Hey @Macylene Jongwe

Adding to @Laura response:

If you're worried about users deleting data that should not be deleted but don't want to limit users from editing documents, you can add the Backups for Trello Power-Up.

Backups for Trello exists to help teams work safer in Trello. Accidental and malicious deletions do happen, and when they do – it's a relief to know that data is backed up and can be easily restored.

Backups for Trello automatically backs up your Trello boards daily. If a board member wrecks havoc on a board, you can use Backups for Trello to easily restore the board back to a previous point in time when everything was perfect.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at dasha@rewind.com.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events