Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control email notification settings for team users

Ron Baker March 20, 2019

New here, so my apologies if this is a daft question.

Is there a way to control email notification settings for team members on a particular board? I want to standardize on the Instantly setting for all company boards, but can't find a way to manage that.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

@Ron Baker there's no way to override a person's notification settings. Also, the "instantly" notification setting doesn't actually guarantee that notifications will be sent via email at all -- if you view your notifications on another device within about 5 minutes Trello won't send them via email.

I've always found Trello's notifications problematic in a few ways (too noisy, hard to prioritise/lack of customisation) so that's one of the main features in the Benko Board integration I created:

https://trello.com/integrations/#benkoboard

Specifically it:

1) Unwatches any card you're added to so you only get notified about being added, mentioned and removed

2) Puts all cards you're added to in a single place, creating a version of Trello's native "Cards View" that you can prioritise more easily

3) Puts all comment notifications into a single place so you can see what you have/haven't responded to and prioritise when you'll reply

It also integrates Gmail with Trello so that all your emails are in the same place. This means that you don't need Trello email notifications at all, and can disable them. You can then also customise where notifications are placed based on source board and source member.

Ron Baker March 22, 2019

Thanks, Iain. I'll check out the Benko Board integration!

- R

0 votes
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2019

Hi @Ron Baker I had thought "instantly" was the default for all users, unless they change their frequency themselves based on their notification preferences.

https://help.trello.com/article/793-receiving-trello-notifications

Ron Baker March 20, 2019

Hi! That appears to be the case I've already run into a case where a user changed it.

I was hoping there was a way to override based on a business case/policy. It's perfectly reasonable: if you want to be a member of the board (or, in this case, to remain employed with us). you must accept the Instantly setting. I'm trying to transition the company from SmartQ to Trello and this tiny thing could be a deal-breaker. Ah, well. So it goes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events