Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change username for username-noreply@trellobutler.com reply address

WG Trello Admin March 10, 2021

I use the butler email automation in a business class team to notify external resources when a request has been made.

This works well but the emails always come from my username in the send address as I created the butler rule eg myusername-noreply@trellobutler.com

I would like to use the username of the member who triggered the request rather than my username as the creator of the butler rule. eg memberusername-noreply@trellobutler.com

Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

@WG Trello Admin there isn't using Butler alone, but you can use Butler to email a Zapier email parser then modify the message based on information sent in the original email and send it out through something like Gmail:

https://parser.zapier.com/

I also have a product that would let you create emails from your board by posting comments to cards that would allow your external contacts to reply and have those replies go back to the same card:

http://www.benkodesk.com/

WG Trello Admin October 3, 2021

Hi Iain, I had a quick look at https://parser.zapier.com/, but can't see how that would enable you to accept and modify an email sent from Trello to be then sent from a Gmail account to a customer.

My end state is that I would like to be able to get a Trello trigger to initiate an email to be sent from GMail so that the sender/reply address is not "myusername-noreply@trellobutler.com" but a valid company email reply address

Are there any other Parser user documents you could point me to to see if its possible?

Benko doesn't seem to enable this either unless I missed something.

Cheers,

Lewis.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2021

@WG Trello Admin 

but can't see how that would enable you to accept and modify an email sent from Trello to be then sent from a Gmail account to a customer.

You format your email like this:

Subject: Whatever

Sincerely,
You

Then you use Zapier's email parser to split the message up into fields and pass those into the Gmail API.

This won't do anything for replies, though. When emails come back into your Gmail, you'd need a separate way to connect them up to Trello. You probably wouldn't be able to get a solid connection between card/thread but if you only need a single outbound email then that's not a problem.

Benko doesn't seem to enable this either unless I missed something

Yes BenkoDesk also allows you to do this. You just sign up, connect a Gmail and Trello account and then post a message like this to a card:

@to Customer Name customer@example.org
Hi Customer,

Thanks for being a customer.

We love you,

This will create a new conversation in Gmail attached to a card. When the customre replies, the reply will be added as a comment to the card and you can reply from Trello like this:

@reply 
Hi thanks for your reply.

We still love you,

Because the BenkoDesk command set is entirely "text based" rather than being based on a powerup interface you can automate it and use it from a mobile/tablet device.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events