Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can Trello cards be given an automatic sequence number or unique reference?

Michael Friel July 20, 2022

this would make searching easier

1 answer

1 vote
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

@Michael Friel welcome to the community! trello cards do have a unique reference - the card ID. you can find it by opening a card, and then appending `.json` to the end of the URL, and you'll see the JSON object with the card data, including the ID.

image.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

Also, if you don't want to go to the json object to find it, it's a butler variable, which mean you can reference it with automation.

image.png

So for instance, you could create a rule that whenever a card is added to the board, a comment is posted with the cardId, or a custom field is updated, or you could even append it to the name of the card if you wanted to, so basically where you'd like to quickly see this unique id in trello, you should be able to put it there! just let me know what you're looking for and I'm happy to try to help with how to set it up.

Like # people like this
Malin Häggmark April 26, 2023

Hi Brittany, I just read your suggestion and think it sounds good. I am all new to Trello, so I would love to get some more hands on instructions on how to get that card id translated to a sequence number. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events