attachment to checklist

DEALER_PFG June 23, 2020

I have a checklist for all the items that I need a dealership to attach to the card. Is there a way to attach the items directly to each item on the checklist? I am wanting the attachments to be in the same order of the checklist and once the item is attached to that item have the box checked.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2020

Currently, I am building a checklist from the attachments in the card. There is nothing that prevents you from using the url but my observation is that those upload images can be very long as they are stored in Trello S3 storage. On the ios, when the name of the checklist item is a URL it is launch the link.

There is another program I wrote to synchronise between the attachments and the checklist but in your case you want it to be an action item for your dealers, One way is to have dealer use the checklist item name against each attachment and have the system automatically checked off on the checklist. Hope this helps but you cannot attach it to checklist item based see in the API documentation.

DEALER_PFG June 24, 2020

To give you a bit of background and what my end goal is. We are an auto finance company looking to move to digital within the next couple months. We will no longer have hard copies of anything contract will be done through esign and we are wanting the dealerships to upload requested documents like proof of income, references etc into trello. We then need to get those attachments into IDMS to the customers account so collections and litigation have access to everything since we will no longer have files for our customers. So our end goal is to use API to get those attachments to IDMS. To be honest I don't really know how the API works the owner stated that attachments need to be in the same order for every deal so the API can do what it does to get it over to the correct field in IDMS......I hope this makes sense.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2020

Currently, each attachment has a name and you can use that as a 'tag' to identify the document for that attachment. But if more tags are need to better identify the document then I would use a card with attachment in it and use custom fields to collect the necessary information on that document. This is the way I am doing it for more course-content repository since I learning material in the database can be associated with more than one course/topic. This means that you will have to collected that data when you are uploading a file. In my case, all the actual content is in Google Drive and in Trello the repository cards contains the URL to the file.

I use a scripting platform together with py-trello library against my Trello boards to watch the events on the board and decide when to construct the course content into the student card, including incremental content, building links to on different cards to track student progress, on-boarding...etc ie an application in the traditional sense of the word.

For your case, if the goal is to send attachments, then there has enough data on the attachment for that dealer behind the covers of Trello board and cards to do that.

If you think we should get connected, do let me know how and when. Thanks

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2020

@DEALER_PFG Instead of having one card with a checklist to upload items to, why not have a list with multiple cards and they can add an attachment to each card. You could use a Butler command like this to make it easy to see what's already done:

2020-06-24 at 10.55 pm.png

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2020

@DEALER_PFG just to elaborate here based on your workflow description above, I don't think there's any need to have the files linked in checklist items, and in fact your dealers will find it simpler to just add the files either as attachments to a single Trello card, or if you want a "checklist style" so they have a clear indication of what's required and what's already done, just upload each document to one card.

The Trellinator function to take these attachments/cards and post them to another system would be something like this:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/afe54f95fb99fc44fac0b2512e711704

This function just loops over all cards in each list in the board and posts the attachments to a document management system (although specifically what that API looks like remains to be determined).

You don't need anything in a specific order, if you need to post things in the order that they were added you can use timestamps to do that, or if the documents are named consistently then you can use document names, or if the documents are uploaded to individual cards then the title of the card can be used to determine which document it is and so on.

Trellinator is an open source framework I wrote for automating Trello with Google Apps Script:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

I also provide bespoke automation consulting with Trello and Trellinator, and can host the code for you if you don't have a Google account or don't want to do it yourself:

http://www.benkobot.com/

You can reach me on iain@benkoworks.com

Like milynnus likes this
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2020

@Iain Dooley with every of your replies, I am tempted to learn and use Trellinator :)

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events