Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my Butler email report contain my REPORT?

Mike Corbean October 27, 2022

Using:
-Trello.com in Chrome web browser
-Thunderbird email client
-Win10

I created a simple Board Button automation that builds a report and emails it to myself (command is attached below).
I click the button, the automation runs, I confirm it ran correctly by reviewing the log...
and then check my email.
The email is there but there is no report.
Here is a screenshot of the email I get:  
The "Go to Trello" link just opens up my Trello board.

It seems like my automation is creating the report and creating a notification but nowhere do I see the ability to package up the report and deliver ....  the actual freaking report!

WTH am I doing wrong?

Email Screenshot:

Capture.PNG

Automation:  

Capture.PNG

1 answer

1 vote
Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2022

You're definitely on the right track! There are just a couple of extra details you'll want to add to get this up and running.

First, you'll want to define a report variable. The report variable is what holds the report data. For example, my report variable is "myreport" in this example:

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 3.30.15 PM.png

Next, add that report variable to your email message. To reference a report variable enclose it in curly braces, and lead with a dollar sign, like this: {$myreport}

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 3.32.53 PM.png

This will result in an email with the name of each card, and a link to it. If you want to add more detail in the email, you can do that by defining a pattern. We have more detail on how to set up a pattern here on our help center: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/creating-reports-with-butler/

E_ Claire Spalon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2023

I am still getting the same result. Does it need to be a specific name for the report? Currently using the same phrase you did of, myreport, as shown above.

Please help. This is maddening.

Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2023

You're definitely on the right track here! You can define that report variable however you like, as long as it's the same variable as the one in the "create report variable" section.

I think you may not have a pattern defined quite yet, the pattern lets you determine what information you want to include in that emailed report.

For example:

report.png

pattern.png

Without the pattern, the resulting email will be empty, so I bet that's what's up!

You can use most of the card variables in this article to choose what information you want to include: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/butler-variables/

I included {cardname}, {cardlistname}, and {cardlink}, which would insert those values in place of the variable for each card that's returned in your report.

E_ Claire Spalon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

Defining the variables is not solving the issues. And in the ones that I do have working- i haven't used variables have it either. 

Note: I have this working in 3 Boards and only cannot figure out in space. Is there a way to book 15 minutes with a team member?

Cody C.
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2023

For sure, we offer scheduled video calls for Premium and Enterprise customers - if that's you, then please create a ticket through trello.com/contact and we can schedule a time to have a closer look and help troubleshoot directly!

Otherwise, maybe it would be helpful to post your rule one more time, now that you've added the pattern, and I can see if I see any snags. Please omit your email address though, just for privacy sake!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events