Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there 2 x separate search functions in Trello?

Lachlan Macnish October 7, 2020

I notice that there is a search box at the top of the window, but then also the "Search Cards" function in the menu. Trello seems to lean more heavily towards using the top-bar search text field, having the "/" keyboard shortcut. However, I fund it of very little-use the way it just brings the results up in a list below the search box, and the way it shows the actual cards, which takes up a huge amount of space, showing very few results without expanding and a lot of scrolling. I can't see any way to then extend that search to a board filter, the same as the other "Search Cards" function. 

I can see why there is the top-menu search, because it's across all of Trello, not just the current board. But I find the "Search Cards" function far more useful and wish it was somehow more visible and had more emphasis than the top-menu search field.

I'm also not sure why "Search Cards" is hidden in the menu. It's the most critical feature from my perspective and having the extra click and slide of the menu adds a lot of extra clicks.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

@Lachlan Macnish the "search cards" function in the board menu used to be called filtering, which was a much better name for it imho. You can get to it quickly by hitting the "f" key on your keyboard.

In terms of being able to filter cards that were created in the last 24 hours, some options would be that when a card is created, use Butler to add a label to the card "Next Standup", filter according to that label during the standup and then remove the label as you discuss each item.

You could do something similar with due dates. 

Lachlan Macnish October 8, 2020

Thanks. Yuck. But thanks :-) This is really a key feature that is missing imo. Given Trello is so suited to Kanban, and stand-ups are such a key part of Kanban.

Lachlan Macnish October 8, 2020

(Oh, but I'm talking about the last 24 hours thing - I think I made a suggestion for that separately).

And yes - Filter Cards would be much more apt. But it should be much more prominent too.

0 votes
Lachlan Macnish October 7, 2020

I would actually say that the top-menu search field is the worst feature in Trello. The UX is horrible. It's very jarring compared to the beauty of the rest of the Trello product. It needs a major re-think. Display a list instead of cards. And have a serious re-think of how it works when you have more than one board or team.

It's also relied on too heavily in work-around suggestions. Like I wanted to be able to have a filter in "Search Cards" that showed cards created in the past 24 hours, but was instead directed to use the top-menu search. But now that I have 2 x teams with 2 x boards to manage, that is useless, because I need it for use just with a single team during their stand-up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events