Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting a copy block with scrolling format in description?

David Gonzalez October 30, 2019

In the description, we sometimes get a copy block/box that allows for scrolling from left to right. But I don't see how this is created in "formatting help". Does anyone know how this created. Or how to avoid it if I see it again?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Hi David,

Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're referring to?

Sample-SCroll.jpg

I couldn't find a real-life example. (We use a new board each day) So I tried to draw it based on previous experience. The red box shows up within a copy block. The dotted line represents where the box extends. The scroll bar is need to read the content that's not visible in the description window.

Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

When you say copy block, do you mean code block?

Like this?

Code blocks on trello will scroll horizontally for large amounts of text. Here is the help.trello documentation on code blocks.

Code block - Include formatted code by wrapping it in three backticks (```) at the beginning and end of the block, or by starting a line with four spaces. Note that the triple backticks have to be on a separate line and ensure you have a blank line before and after the code block.

Let me know if that wasn't what you were looking for.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about. So what's the point of a code block? Does it have any inherent advantages?

This has been bothering me.

Thank you for your help. We work in news, and sometimes our e-mails are pasted directly into the description. So it auto-formats. And it's hard to read.

This will save me hours of headaches.

Jireh
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2019

No problem! Please come back if you have any other questions.

The code block exists to format computer code more easily. Trello is used by all sorts of teams, including teams with software developers. The code block allows developers to paste in code snippets without worrying about the formatting of a text editor.

ksuderekc August 18, 2021

Jireh,

It would be better in many cases to have the text to word-wrap, so that it all could be read in one view, rather than having to scroll.

I think that is maybe what David was alluding to.

" Or how to avoid it if I see it again?"

Thanks!

Derek

And also alluding to here:

" . . . 

and sometimes our e-mails are pasted directly into the description. So it auto-formats. And it's hard to read.

This will save me hours of headaches. . . . "

And this "This will save me hours of headaches." I believe is meaning that if it didn't auto-format with a scroll-bar and instead word-wrapped it would save hours of headaches.

I agree.

Thanks again!

Derek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events