When making customized fields ….

DW Gmail December 10, 2021

Is it possible to build a multiple choice dropdown, or a checkbox where the checked items are *featured* rather than eliminated?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Allen -Amazing PowerUps-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

I'm not sure I completely understand your use cases, but you could try Amazing  Fields.  https://trello.com/power-ups/60e068efb294647187bbe4f5  

It has a wide range of customization capabilities with more being added for each new version.

DW Gmail December 13, 2021

This is very useful, Allen.  Thank you so much!

The use case may be of interest to readers.  Here's a little background ...

I’ve been building a set of tools (a 'method') that people can use to build circles of support for family members who happen to live with disabilities.  I've worked on this for about 20 years now, and I've only recently began to explore Trello.  
In 20117, we founded a tiny nonprofit based in Maine where the mission is to get the method and supports out to families for free, forever.  We’ve been one of those families, and we know that families get night sweats about "who's going to be here to care about my loved one after I'm gone?".
So, the 'use case' is about building, organizing and sustaining the circles, and it goes far beyond assigning and tracking tasks.  Think about it this way:
1. Each developing circle (typically starting with 'Mom'), signs up for their own free Trello account and starts out by downloading a template with the essential elements embedded, so they're not starting from scratch.
2. Each template has a three or four distinct Trello Boards, and each Board has a specific focus.  E.g. (a) a standard Trello Board containing most of the core ideas about how to do this work - brief descriptions with hot links to longer explanations; (b) a standard Trello Board with a set of sequences for meeting agendas, planning practices, etc.; and now, (c) an Amazing Fields-powered Trello board that is built in the following way:
3) Each 'List' represents a person who is a member of the circle (this typically starts with two people - the 'person at the center' and the person who is starting to organized the work.  Then additional people-lists (Members) are added as they come into view or get invited into the circle. 
4) Each 'Person's' list contains a complete set of distinct pre-structured Cards.  E.g. a Card depicting the Member's connection to the person at the center (a neighbor, friend, classmate, co-worker, etc.); one or more Cards indicating the Circle 'role' that the Member has agreed to take on (organizer, navigator, safety watcher, communicator, etc.); one or more Cards depicting where the Member has standing and influence in the larger community; one or more Cards depicting Next Action Steps to which the Member has committed.  There are more: Windows of Opportunity, Major Safety Considerations, etc.
What I was hoping to find, and now *have* found in Amazing Fields, is a way to have each of the card *types* contain its unique set of locked-in data fields.  E.g. the 'Connection to the person' Card contains a unique Checklist where someone can indicate that they are a neighbor, an extended family member, a classmate, etc. ... and choose more than one if more than one applies. 
The big deal is that Amazing Fields makes it possible for this specific *type* of card to contain its unique field-set, and no others.  Something I'd hoped for but didn't know if it would be possible until you replied to my initial query.

Thanks again for this important contribution.  Sincerely, Dave Wetherow

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events