• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

When copying a card with a due date, I need the option to assign a new due date to the copy.

When copying a card with a due date, I can assign the copy to a new Board/List Location, but am frustrated that I cannot also assign a new Due Date to the copy. I have not found a Butler or Preference option to solve this directly.

When simply copying a card, it is annoying to have to have to go find the newly created card and update it with the correct Due Date as a separate step - it seems like this should clearly be an option of the copy card function.

Context: I have task list cards that essentially need to be repeated/copied monthly, except that I like to keep a Checklist with outstanding item notes on the same card with that month, so that when I start on next month then my Notes checklist is there and ready for follow-up.

I prefer this method in lieu of trying to manage a repeater card for standard tasks and a separate card for outstanding items because this way I can keep a record of what was still outstanding on a card at month end when I've closed it - keeping together those tasks (work completed) and notes for that month. My notes checklist then can evolve with the copy into the next month where items may be resolved from the list in a later iteration.

2 answers

@Julie Munroe I remembered this was a limitation discussed on this forum and I wrote a Butler module for its Http Request to do just what you wanted

In your case, the input will have to be {"from_card_id" : "{triggercardidlong}", "to_card_id" : "{addedcardidlong}" }

This module copies the due date from one card to another. It can be used in a trigger and lookup situation. Trello does not allow dates to be set without using the card interface.

[GitHub URL](https://gist.github.com/xu2xulim/a5ceba37922bd639d33fcdc550f3e173/raw/78c1c1ea20665de8e7650c17fda0103f0c5bf381/Update%2520Due%2520Date%2520From%2520Card) **Basecamp module** : 5f36207d6cd6f82d44bd396c

###Struct Input:
```
{"from_card_id" : "{triggercardidlong}", "to_card_id" : "{foundcardidlong}" }
```
###Struct Output:
```
{"due_date" : "due_date_string"}
```

Thank you! I'm new to more complex Butler functions like this. I found the field to add the HTTP Request and created a Card Button, however I'm struggling to find the "Basecamp module" or Input/Output locations to make it work.  Could you please point me to resources on this for implementation?

Unfortunately I'm still not clear on the "how to" of implementing this code. Hopefully this will make sense to someone else and they can make use of it - it's a little beyond me at this juncture.

@Julie Munroe 

I understand. In fact, I did a custom build for someone who consolidated all the cards in "Doing" on various subproject boards by doing copy and linking the cards in Butler. But once copied, the cards are not in sync. Since due dates are important to get an overall statuses of the subproject, this work was commission. 

The above Superhero Power is intended "as a service" that uses, namely, Butler Http Request to do things that you cannot otherwise achieve with Butler. You subscribe and you get to use all the ready built and test modules.

Got it. I'm still astonished that this isn't yet a standard feature of the regular Copy function in Trello.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Introducing: A Whole New Trello

After a decade of growing the most ubiquitous visual framework for productivity and project management, we are evolving Trello’s boards, lists, and cards model to bring context to content and help te...

623 views 24 22
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you