It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What's the best way to visualize how much time a task (one card) needs?

I am using Trello to manage work tasks. Each task has its own card. I've assigned due dates to each card, but I'd also like to indicate how long each task is estimated to take. Right now I am using labels to do this (one color means less than an hour, another color means 1-2 hours, another color means 2-3 hours, and so on), but this isn't as visually obvious as I'd like.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to change the height of each card according to its task duration: a task lasting less than an hour would be the default height, a 1-2-hour task would be bigger, and so on.

Is there any kind of power-up or other Trello feature that would allow me to correlate task duration with card size? If not, what other techniques do people use for visualizing how long a task will take?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alice Causarano Community Leader May 09, 2019

Hi Susan! You could try to use the Custom Fields Power-Up.

Here are a couple of examples.

Option 1

custom fields.PNG

Once enabled the Power-Up, you could create a simple Text custom field and write inside the estimated time. It would look like this from the board view:

custom fields text.PNG

Option 2

If you want a more visually appealing version, instead you could use the Dropdown Custom Field type and select a different color for each time slot.

dropdown.PNG

Here is how it would look from the board view.

dropdown color.PNG

I hope it helps! If you need additional information about the Custom Fields Power-Up, you can find a Trello guide here.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

There's a lot to love about the next evolution of Trello Community

Hi, team, Whether you've been hanging out here in the Trello collection for awhile, or whether you're just now joining us from the Trello Slack Community, we’ve got some exciting news about th...

2,296 views 23 46
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you