Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to label a category with different numbers in order to search effectively?

carlyabbecker July 9, 2020

My company relies on Trello heavily for tracking our inventory. It is great for us if we want to search an individual item, but we run into trouble when we have multiples of one item followed by individual numbers.

For instance:

We want to label multiple inventory pieces as "Car Part" but then each individual card gets labeled as "Car Part 1" then another card gets labeled "Car Part 2," "Car Part 3," etc.

Our issue comes up when we try to search a specific "Car Part" number. If I want to search "Car Part 5," Trello displays every single "Car Part" card in a random order and does not even include the number I am specifically searching for. 

I am curious to see if anyone else has run into this dilemma and how they fixed it or changed their labeling system to account for this. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

Hi @carlyabbecker 

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried using the label search function?

If you open your board, click on show menu, then search cards, it'll give you a list of your labels, if you click on the label for Car Part 1, it'll only show you the cards with that label on it in each list.

I have different labels for different workouts, e.g. I have Sh'BAM (which is added to all my Sh'BAM dance cardio workouts), but then I also have labels for Sh'BAM 34 (my favourite one) and Sh'BAM House Party Nights, Sh'BAM Hip Hop Remix, so that I can see all the Sh'BAM cards, or the specific release that I was doing.

Does this help at all?

Esme :)

carlyabbecker July 10, 2020

It does, thank you! 

If you can answer this, am I correct in assuming that the search bar on the top left of a board does not do the same search functions as the search bar in the "Show Menu" at the top right of the board?

I think this is where I am running into issues.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

Hi @carlyabbecker 

Woohoo! I'm glad that worked!

You're right, they do different things. The search at the top left searches all boards for things like words etc, the Show Menu top right, search only searches within the board you are currently in. 

Does that help?

Let me know!

carlyabbecker July 10, 2020

Yay! Ok, thank you so much! You have been so much help!

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

Hey @carlyabbecker 

No problem at all, that's what we're here for!

Don't be a stranger now!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

Also, if it's not too much trouble @carlyabbecker, would you mind accepting my answer so that others who search for the same thing know that this solution has worked for you?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events