Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best FREE way to mirror/sync a whole card on 2 boards?

Jessica Sharp September 21, 2020

We only need this for a short time so we don't want a paid subscription. We need an intern to have access to 1 card on our board but we don't want to give a temporary person access to our full team board. Suggestions?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jillian Amyot _Unito_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 22, 2020

Hi @Jessica Sharp , depending for how short of a time you need it for you could use Unito to sync the boards. It's a paid subscription but they offer two weeks for free. Here's an article you might find useful. There's also Butler as Iain suggested. Hope this helps :-)

Jessica Sharp September 22, 2020

@Jillian Amyot _Unito_ , Yesterday, right before posting this I spent over an hour with their support team trying to get "Unito Mirror" to work. I had installed it the week prior and tried troubleshooting for over a week and could not get it to work. (I'm part time and not in the office everyday.) The person I was connected with tried getting me to pay for the subscription before they even tried to get it working.... then when I said I just wanted to do the trial, they said they said my trial was expiring and that due to the circumstances they would extend it 2 days and get it working. Jumping through all those hoops for 2 days was pointless. I am curious to know if it worked for ANYONE who tried using the trial! 

Jillian Amyot _Unito_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 23, 2020

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear! I just spoke with them and they said they found the issue and would be happy to extend your trial. :-)

Jessica Sharp September 24, 2020

@Jillian Amyot _Unito_ Thank you for the follow up! That is what they told me also, but the offer was 2 days. 2 days doesn't help me. 

Jillian Amyot _Unito_
Marketplace Partner
September 24, 2020

Of course! I understand, two days is hardly enough, when I spoke with them I believe they said they would extend for longer than two days. Are you still in touch with them?

Jessica Sharp September 24, 2020

@Jil Yes, I received the e-mail. I will pass on the 1 week trial also. Thank you though. I would really love to know of a different solution or I will take @Iain Dooley suggestions and work around it.

Jillian Amyot _Unito_
Marketplace Partner
September 24, 2020

I understand, wish I could help more!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

@Jessica Sharp there isn't really a reliable way to do this for free, you can do it with Butler but if there's any sort of regular activity you will run out of quota pretty quickly.

What is the intern doing on the one card that they need access to? Might it make sense for them to just have their own board to work on?

Jessica Sharp September 22, 2020

@Iain Dooley  Thanks for responding! The card is on a separate board, but we cannot connect all of our main board members to the second board as some of them are "guests". We would need the information to be visible on both boards for full team visibility. We get a rotation of interns and there may be various reasons for them to work on a card or board for project alignment without having full access to the main board. I wish there was a security setting that allowed me to limit access to cards or lists and it would eliminate the need for overcomplicating with multiple boards.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

@Jessica Sharp If they're only working on one card it does sort of seem like maybe they don't need access to Trello at all. Maybe you just need to give them a task, then give them the email-to-card address and they can email their updates/files etc. into that card as they go. Each email they send will get added as a comment, and files will also get added (note that the free plan has a 10mb file size limit). If you wanted to email back to them about what they're working on, then you would either have to get a plugin. My product BenkoDesk does this but doesn't have a free plan, although I think SendBoard and Hipporello both have free plans and would allow you to do 2 way email communication with an external email address from a Trello card.

Like Sara likes this
Jessica Sharp September 23, 2020

@Iain Dooley Thank you for the suggestions!

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Sara October 9, 2020

Would someone kindly explain how to mirror with Butler? Our team does have business-class boards but also some free ones which we would love to be able to mirror with. Thank you :)

0 votes
Lucy Nye March 19, 2021

@Jessica Sharp did you ever find a solution for this? I am having similar issues and agree Unito is not a good solution for mirroring. Maybe if you are then connecting to Jira or Asana but Trello to Trello is pretty unintuitive and not worth the subscription. They are very behind the curve without start dates enabled yet and I found just simple mirroring between boards very clunky, at one point it duplicated a whole set undoing two days of work. 

Jessica Sharp March 23, 2021

I wish I had a better response for you Lucy, but I didn't find a solution to meet our needs. We ended up moving the 1 card to the other board for the duration of the internship and will move it back to our main board for permanent housing and archive. Trying to sync was messing things up or just not working at all. 

Overall, we have been very happy with Trello and the flexibility it offers! If we saw improvement in the following areas however, it would be fantastic!

Sync/Mirror

Print/Export - To include all of Card Family Associations (Graph would be Fabulous)

Addition of List Explanation/Notes

Programmable reminders (short term deadlines) for hard card level deadlines

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events