Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to trello_token?

Basat Tayfun September 8, 2022

I help maintain a Chrome Extension we developed for our internal use.  The extension **used to** let Scrum masters and project leads to process cards automatically (move them to done, etc.).  It did so by reusing the same user session credentials used by the Trello Web App browser tab/window, from which the extension was triggered.  The extension stopped authorizing (ie gives missing/no auth message/behavior) starting a couple of months ago, I think.  A quick look using Dev Tools in Chrome suggests the trello_token that used be found in the browser's local storage is no more... I see no trace of it.  Is this something we can get back or what workaround or alternate method is there for making the extension figure out the user currently logged in (and run the automation with/in the same credentials/context)?  Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2022

Hi Basat

If you are a developer for Trello integrations it's best to check out the resources Atlassian shares for development around Trello: developer.atlassian.com/cloud/trello 

There is also references to the dedicated Atlassian developer community and the developer support. Might be better to start looking there as the regular Atlassian Community has the user and admin in mind, rather than the devs. Sorry but devs get their own playground! :D

The best method for developing any extension around Trello is Power-Ups by the way.

Cheers
Sloan

Basat Tayfun September 8, 2022

Hi @Sloan N_ B_  Thanks for the suggestions. In fact, I did explore those and other options/resources.

There are a couple of problems with moving to a new strategy/method, including, Power-Ups:

1. We like to avoid having to redo everything.  We have an investment in the extension -- we want to avoid moving up another learning curve, esp since APIs and libraries can (and do) change often.

2. Docs say PUs require admin privileges. Anyone can develop and test an extension for Chrome.  With Trello, the docs say one must be an admin for the team.  That presents serious problems.  Admins are not necessarily prioritized to dev code of any kind, let alone Trello. They have projects and people to manage. Even if someone else did the coding, the testing and debugging and refining etc steps are likely to be stretched out and cause a lot friction internally. 

So, I am still hoping there is a way to get back the trello token and avoid having to trash our extension.   It seems if the client JS settings for my team (our domain/corp account) enable the persist parameter (referred to in the Trello client.js reference  ), that would do the trick -- and save us a ton of effort, headache and time.  Thanks

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

To brainstorm with developers best place your thoughts in the Developer Community: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/c/trello/42

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events