Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to auto-generate a unique ID number when Trello card is created?

Edward Stapleton November 2, 2018

We’ve been using Trello to keep track of the projects we’re working on – currently we use an Excel file to keep track of an ID number (or index number) that we associate with each new project or sub-project. If you go down a couple levels, each card currently has a “card number”, but it doesn’t seem too unique (ie. search for “460” will return both Card #460 and any cards with “460” somewhere in the text (ex. address, quantity, etc.)).

So, is there:

1. A way to search specifically for “Card #XXX” and not everything with “XXX”?, or
  2. A way to auto-generate a new ID number (5 digits? 5 alphanum?) each time a card is created? (Even better, if it gets auto-inserted into the description or title?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2018

@Edward Stapleton instead of generating a unique ID and storing it in your spreadsheet then searching for the card, you could instead just copy the link to the card and paste it into your spreadsheet. Every Trello card link has a unique ID in it already, and you can simply click the link from the spreadsheet to go directly to the correct card.

If you really want to search instead of clicking, you can also just grab the ID from the card's URL and put that in your spreadsheet. If you put a card ID into Trello's search it will show you only cards with that ID or with an attachment to the card with that ID.

Either way you don't need to generate a new ID for every card because one already exists. In the case of this card URL:

https://trello.com/c/UxCPxxp/

The ID is UxCPxxp

Edward Stapleton November 5, 2018

Using the card ID from the URL should work ...

The main reason trying to keep everything in Trello was:

1. Only a couple people have access to the spreadsheet
  2. It's only purpose right now is keeping track of project numbers
  3. All of the real project management is in Trello
Tammy Shi March 15, 2022

I want to send the Card Number to a request by define a rule.

what is the parameter for this card number field?

2 votes
Prasetya Kuntharajati December 3, 2019

a4.jpg

I also want to ask, is there any way to Show Number like what i used on Trello?

Andrew Muller September 18, 2020

Hi, how do you add a chrome extension? I would like for the individual cards to have IDs on them, so that they are visible and can be referenced when doing daily stand up calls

Like # people like this
Phil Robinson May 10, 2021

@Andrew Muller - did you get an answer on the extension?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events