Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Trello Webhook to post message in Google Chat

Haldavid Cope May 22, 2020

Based on the Butler ability to Post/Put to a URL and Google Chat's ability to receive incoming webhooks, I think that I should be able to define a trigger to then post a message in Google Chat (inclusive of Card name and hyperlink) using webhooks. So far the documentation I've used are:

Trello Webhooks

and

Google Chat incoming webhooks

Unfortunately I've not been able to get it to work thus far, and I believe it is because I am simply typing in text into the Payload field where the webhooks require some json to be able to interpret what I need to do. Knowing no javascript myself, what actions do I need to take to make this work?  Any ideas of where to start?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2020

@Haldavid Cope the Trello webhooks documentation is about registering a webhook where you will receive notifications from Trello.

I think what you're trying to do is register a Google Chat incoming webhook URL as the webhook notification URL with Trello. This would only work if Google had specifically configured their application to receive Trello webhook notifications.

Butler can post to a URL with a payload, but you're correct you'd need to look at the Google chat incoming webhook documentation and figure out what that payload needs to be for your purposes, then construct it using Butler variables to achieve the designed outcome:

2020-05-25 at 8.53 pm.pngThis is also something I could do for you with Trellinator, you can see a link in my bio to submit a request for quote (it's pretty cheap, but not free). You can read about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Haldavid Cope August 25, 2020

Thank you @Iain Dooley . I ultimately figured out how to format the payload to be accepted by the Chat Webhook URL.  Does Trellinator have other functionality like scheduled data export via API?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2020

@Haldavid Cope yeah you can schedule jobs with Trellinator. It's not very well documented, but for example a recurring function gets scheduled and then re-schedules itself to run like this:

ExecutionQueue.push("functionName",parameters,signature,original_time.addDays(1));

For data export you would typically loop through cards or lists or something and append the data as rows to a Google Sheet for example.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events