Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Onedrive attachments - how can you add description of link or icon instead of paperclip

Cassandra Brown April 14, 2023

I'm using Onedrive to store shared working attachments (for example excel spreadsheets) and these can be attached to Trello cards. 

The problem I am having is the Onedrive link which shows as the attachment name is pretty meaningless. Is there a way to add a visible descriptor, or to change the paperclip icon for something else - so that it's easy to see what the actual attachment is about?

1 answer

0 votes
Lara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2023

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for reaching out!

Right now, it's not possible to add a description to OneDrive attachment links – I've passed your feedback onto our product team.

With that said, the thumbnail should show a small preview of the attached document. Could you please check if that thumbnail preview appears when you view the card in a different browser (and/or incognito window)?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply,

Lara
The Trello Team

Cassandra Brown June 6, 2023

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 14.49.01.png

Hi Lara, thank you for your reply in April. Above is a screenshot of what I see representing the one-drive attachments. This is on MacBook Pro running Venture 13.4, I see the same in Chrome and in Safari and is the same with or without incognito.  This is happening for all one-drive attachments.

Sometimes I see a filename (I'm not sure why one is not showing on this occasion) but it's not one which is meaningful. So basically I have onedrive attachments successfully linked to Trello cards but I don't know what they are until I open them which is a real frustration.

Thank you for any advice.

Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2023

Definitely frustrating, I agree - another option would be to right-click on the arrow icon that's pointing up and right, choose copy link address and paste that link into the description of the card.

This will trigger what we call a Smart link, and once you give permission it will show the name of the linked file. 

I prefer this over the attachment section personally, but if you prefer the attachment section, you can also click the Attachments button on your card, then paste the link to the OneDrive file into the Attach a link field. This will also automatically name the attachment based on the file name.

@Cody C. thank you so much - I found I could generate a link and them paste it into a checklist! And in the checklist point I can put an appropriate description! Just what I needed :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events