Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Checklists for Project management

Meghan Harrison April 27, 2022

I have several major projects coming up that I'm trying to sort out. I have a spreadsheet with these columns on it for all the individual project tasks: 

Parent Card Title

Parent Due Date

Checklist Task

Due Date

Label

I figured out a way to make a button in Automation to convert all the checklist items on a card to individual cards, but it looks like I have to make a button for each checklist. Is there a different way to do this?

The result I would love is to have a parent card with a due date and a label, then the linked child cards that have the naming convention "Checklist Item - Parent Card Title" with a due date 2 weeks before the parent due date. 

I know I can set this up manually, but would love to automate it as these projects recur annually. Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Meghan Harrison April 28, 2022

I didn't even know about advanced checklists! I think I have it to a place where I can make a card template and the use rules to add checklists, but I'm now trying to work out how to set item due dates on the checklists automatically based on the card's due date. So it seems like the steps will be: 

1. Create a card in a specific list

2. Rule - when a due date is added to a card in the list add a specific checklist

3. rule - When the checklist is added to a card in this list, set the due dates

It's that step 3 I can't get, I tried this but it didn't work: 

when checklist "MCAS Checklist" is added to a card, set the item due on the date in custom field "{cardduedate-14d}"

It does have a note that this automation is only available on paid boards, and I believe I have a premium account (at least I paid for it in December!) so would think that would work. 

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2022

@Meghan Harrison it's possible to achieve this with a secondary custom due date field. Here's an example:

checklist due date 2.PNG

You might want to make the rule conditional on a certain thing so you can customize what checklist items get added. E.g. "when a due date is set on a card in list "Fruit", set custom due date, add item "Apple", etc."

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2022

@Meghan Harrison 

Please see the page and click on Solutions

https://github.com/xu2xulim/Trello-Email

The closest fit would be the project for Email to Advanced Checklist where you can create a card on any board with advanced checklist from a numbered list.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events