Using Butler to link cards with variables between boards

Stuart Harper February 2, 2021

I have a board that generates "issue" cards from a form fill, these cards then work through a route cause analysis flow and are eventually archived. 30 cards a day are generated on average.

I have a second board that contains a card for each phyical asset that the previous board is raising an "issue" with. There are over 300 individual assets. these cards contain reference materials such as setup configurations, manuals, fault finding flowcharts etc.

The "issue" cards end up with an automatically generated title such as:

"Case-892Line 3 Senzani Cartoner 1 -L3-SIC-01 by Stuart"

"L3-SIC-01" is a unique identifier and also uniquly features in the title of the asset card on the other board, which in this case would be:

"Line 3 Senzani Cartoner 1 L3-SIC-01"

I want to automatically link the cards, noting that everything in bold will be variable in each card created for asset "Line 3 Senzani Cartoner 1 L3-SIC-01"

Case-892Line 3 Senzani Cartoner 1 -L3-SIC-01 by Stuart

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

@Stuart Harper so you would like to automatically link an issue created for a given asset, to the asset card in question?

This Trellinator function would do it, assuming that the asset numbers are consistently formatted:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/27b49e836a2bf4fa5a31e403fbdb050a

I did something similar for a national vending machine company for handling support requests and connected it up to a shared mobile number, additionally I put in place code that will synch comments back to the asset card so you can see a central history of all the communications for that machine.

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Stuart Harper February 3, 2021

Thnaks for the reply - to be honest i am a mechanical engineer by trade and this looks a bit beyond my rudimentary abilities!

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

@Stuart Harper 

do a search for “Trello wildcard help” you probably need to read that. The way I looked at your convention you would do use <> for your unique id. Your case- is a go prefix. All fail dm me. 

Stuart Harper February 3, 2021

Thanks! I had a search, i can get the function to work, howeverit seems to require that i create a separate rule for each master card i have, i am looking to see if i can have one rule that looks up all the master cards, identifies the one that matches a partial text in the one i added, and then link them

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events