Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Butler to copy a card to another board that they don't have access to

Kaylene Tanti February 15, 2021

I have two created boards and I want a staff member to have access to only one of the boards and would like the cards she creates on this board to be transferred via Butler to the other board that she has not been invited to.  The reason being is because there is confidential information on the second board.  I have added her to the team which is used for both boards but the Butler button only works for me and not her.

Does she need to be invited to both boards to be able to collaborate between them both.  Is there a way of doing this without her having access to the second board.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Kaylene Tanti February 17, 2021

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows Thanks.  I will take a look at the costings.  Would you have the URL for this?

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021
0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hey @Kaylene Tanti ! Would you want every single card she creates on her board to be copied automatically to your board? Would creating a rule instead of a board button work? You would have to create the rule on her board seeing as you have access to both boards, and it would read something like this:
"when a card is added to Board B, copy the card to Board A under X list"

Follow up question: would you need the cards to be synced so that if your staff member makes an update to a card (like adds a comment or makes a status change), would you want the card on your board to update with that information? 

Kaylene Tanti February 15, 2021

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows 

Thanks for your help.  Not every single card will be required to be copied to my board.  I didn't think about creating a rule.  How is this different from a button? Could I create a rule on her board like this "when a card is added to Board B under X list, copy the card to Board A under X list".  Can you have more than one rule?

I would like the cards to be synced as she will make changes from time to time.

Any help is appreciated.  thanks

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

@Kaylene Tanti with board buttons, it's a manual trigger, so someone needs to select that button to trigger the action. With Rules, there's no manual trigger - you setup the rule and any card that meets that rule will automatically do the action.

And yes, you can filter it so only a subset of cards copy over like the example you gave with lists. And yep, definitely possible to have more than one rule, but you might be blocked if you're on a free Trello plan.

An alternative is to create a custom label on board B and use that as a trigger, so it would read:

"When the "X" label is added to a card, copy the card to Board A in list X".

With Butler, it creates a complete copy of the card, so it's two different cards that have no relationship with one another, so there's no syncing going on there.

If you want to create a true sync, I would recommend using the Unito Power Up. It gives you a 2-way sync so you can add updates on either side and it will sync over. The rules would look more or less the same, so "only sync cards with the X" label. It is a paid power-up starting at $10 p/mo, so you'll have to weigh up how much you would be manually updating and switching boards and see if you would get the ROI. There are a lot of ways to use Unito, so I'm happy to offer some guidance there if you want to try it out and get the most out of it :)

Kaylene Tanti February 16, 2021

thanks.  is the $10 p/mo for me only or does this have to be paid for all team members?

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

@Kaylene Tanti it's a flat rate for a certain amount of users (so not $10 p/month per user). So the first plan is Personal 5 and that allows you to have 5 Trello users collaborating on cards that Unito is syncing, and it goes up from there. 

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2021

@Kaylene Tanti 

If a board in a team is not made visible, and joining permission is limited to the admin, this individual who is not a member on the board will not be able use and see anything in that board. This should include @mention. 

Butler looks at the trigger conditions and actions. So unless it is set to a specific member, it will be executed on the board. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events