Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User permissions

Anna Williamson October 27, 2022

Hi there, 

I'm really unsure about Trello permissions for users.

I'm a workspace member and I have 4 guests. 

I need access to all my boards in the workspace, but I only want my guests to have access to specific boards, not all of them. 

If I make them members, will they have access to all boards? Or can I have them as members and only invite them to specific boards?

Thanks, 

Anna

2 answers

0 votes
Cavender Auto October 27, 2022

i am having a similar issue with permissions. I have a premium workspace with 4 boards.  I have a user that is marked as "Normal" and another member that is and "Administrator".  The Normal Member has access to make changes on three of the four boards, but on the fourth board he can only view it and make no changes.  The only change I want them to make is writing comments in activities if possible, but just viewing does not work.  How do I make settings where this member has the same permissions on each board.  Thanks.

Meghashrita Kashyap
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2022

@Cavender Auto Apologies for the delay in response. We have a setting on the board menu known as "commenting permissions" which can be changed. Please refer to the below screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 4.40.14 PM.png

It looks like this member is added as an observer on the 4th board. Can you change it on the 4th board to Members and observers so that he can comment on the board?

Do let me know if it helps!

Cheers,
Meghashrita Kashyap
Atlassian Support - Trello

0 votes
Meghashrita Kashyap
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2022

Hi @Anna Williamson 

If you want people to have access to only specific boards then you can add them as members to only those boards.

Also, make sure that the board's permission is "private" https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/changing-the-visibility-of-a-board/ so that people who are not a part of the board cannot see the content. You can refer to the below article for your reference.

https://trello.com/en/guide/enterprise/manage-permissions

If you make them members of a specific board, until and unless they are added to the other board or the board is public they won't be able to view the board.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Meghashrita Kashyap

Anna Williamson October 27, 2022

Thanks for that. However, they are only guests at the moment. So if I make them all members will they get access to everything? This is what I'm not sure about. 

Meghashrita Kashyap
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2022

@Anna Williamson Guests are nothing but board members that are not a member of the board’s Workspace. That's the only difference.

So if you add them to a board and not to any other board which is private they won't have access to them.

Even if they are workspace members but aren't added to the board they won't be able to see the board's information. 

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/board-guests/

Do let me know in case you have any queries.

Cheers,
Meghashrita Kashyap

Cavender Auto October 27, 2022

once again, how do I set permissions?

Anna Williamson October 31, 2022

@Meghashrita Kashyap 

Thanks for that. I've made all the boards private - if I add them as workspace members does that mean I get charged more? I've got Trello Premium!

Meghashrita Kashyap
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2022

Hi @Anna Williamson 

Yes, you are charged on premium workspaces based on the members you add to them.

However you can have members on the boards as guests and you won't be changed, but they can be added to only one board as a guest on a paid workspace, if they are added to more than 1 board then they become billable as multi-board guests.

Cheers,
Meghashrita Kashyap

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events