Update Boards from Master Template

Kevin Jensen September 30, 2021

Hello Trello Community,

I Want to use Trello in a Way that i have a Master template that i will use, out of that master template i have created 50 boards the same way.

I would like to have an option if i Update a card in the master template i would like to have an option to push that update out to all the 50 boards in 1 click either via Automation or a Power up, is this possible in Trello ?

and it should update the Card without deleting any checklists or comments that have been created on the 50 boards.

2 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2021

@Kevin Jensen 

If you are checking out Unito as suggested by @Brittany Joiner do let us know whether it does what you want.

I am away for cards with a board, there is a relationship between the card and its sourceCard. I tried copying a board, and it seems that the action is an empty list. Not sure it is the same when using a template board. (Update: seems to be the case when using a template board)

I suspect that if you create each new board by copying the cards over then it will have the action and hence you will be able to track back all the cards by its sourceCard. Then it would be possible to do the updates,

In a simple one board scenario, I am able to create automation to update the copied cards.

https://www.loom.com/share/68473b47ac6b46abba1602d5fae3da80

Kevin Jensen October 5, 2021

Hello @milynnus,

You link dosn't work unfortuenatly :(

The solution suggested by Brittany is does not do what i want.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2021

@Kevin Jensen 

It was a video on my dev board using the beta loom feature. There must be a time lapse for it.

I have worked on two ideas

1) MirrorSync which supports 1-way and 2 way via Webhooks see https://youtu.be/WvOMHWH9z7A

(2) Mirror Lite supports 1-way custom sync via specific automation rules to propagate changes. Recreate the loom video https://www.loom.com/share/dd45d6e7a290469d83ae90a725bda61c

@milynnus 

Great ideas you have thanks for showing me.

But i need a solution where i can work on the 50 boards with check marks etc without it changing the Master board, so i have created the 50 boards out from the master template and all 50 boards will be filled in different way.

what i want to be able to do is to if i have more description suddenly on the master board related to some cards on the masterboard and i want that information to get updated via a button so it will update the description on all the 50 boards without deleting the checkmarks i have put into the 50 boards.

Hope it makes sense

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2021

@Kevin Jensen 

I think I got what you want.

If they are existing 50 boards, and I checked the cards in both the master and the copied board, there is not indicators on its sourceCard. In this situation, you can only rely on the name if this has not been changed. Besides the card can be anyway on the non-master board.

However, if you are starting scratch, then it is possible to build that 50 cards on the master board, construct the Power Card, and then distribute the cards to the 50 boards. The Power Card establishes the linkage between the card on the master board and the cards on the other boards.

This mapping is a feature is also used in my MirrorSync application. The webhooks and the underlining codes handles the synchronising - be it 1-way or 2-ways together with mapping dictionary to decide what cards are affect by a change e.g add a label, remove an item, complete an item etc.

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2021

@Kevin Jensen you might be able to accomplish something like this with Butler by linking all the cards together, but it sounds like you're looking for mirroring, so I'd recommend checking out the Unito Power-Up

@Brittany Joiner  I have checked out the Unito Power up but it seems like it Mirrors both way which i'm not looking for i'm looking for something that where i can sent out from my master template and to the 50 other boards i have created from that template.

Because when i'm editing on the 50 boards it should not change my master template board

Jason Dainter April 21, 2022

Did you ever find a fix for this? Im looking for the same. Eg create a master template. Copy and paste it to many cards, then changing the master updates all other cards (not the other way around).

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2022

@Jason Dainter 

I read my comments on this post again. Couple of important points to note.

1. I have studied "copy a card" more than I have studied "copy a board".
  2. When you copy a card there is a sourceCard attribute
  3. When you move the card to another board that attribute is no longer available.
  4. There is instead a sourceBoard attribute as the first action.
  5. Unless some external lookup is established with the source card, it is unlikely you can do any form of bulk updates.
  6. Such updates are resource intensive and if you have 50 boards you will probably hit some form of rate limit while updating using Trello API.
  7. My understanding is that Trello automation has a limit of 100-150 cards for a single command execution.
  8. The solution/projects mentioned had undergone some changes and I settled on https://github.com/xu2xulim/Trello-MirrorSync.
  9. There was only one client who need to do bulk updates across 1200+ cards on a single board and they were only for checklist item add, delete & update and item order within a checklist.
  10. As far as I know, you access to the boards for you to update the cards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events