Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive URLs in desktop app

Kyle Kristoffersen January 20, 2020

When using the desktop app, any URL in a card, whether added by me or one of my team members, is unresponsive when I click on it. To navigate to the address, I need to right click and copy the URL then open up a new tab in my browser and paste it in. I would expect the app to automatically open a new window in my browser and navigate to the page, but nope.

This is happening on my work computer as well as my home computer. Is this a problem with settings somewhere? Please help!

3 answers

0 votes
orlie January 21, 2020

Hi @Kyle Kristoffersen 

I tried to replicate your issue on a Windows machine with the latest version of the Trello App from the Microsoft Store.

I don't have Opera installed as my main browser.

Can you try switching your default browser to Chrome, Firefox or the latest Edge (released a few days ago, it's actually really good and built on top of Chromium) and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue.

That way we can guarantee that it's a bug related to Opera and we can open a ticket with the engineering support team.

Best,

Kyle Kristoffersen January 23, 2020

Hi Orlie,

Thanks for your help with this :)

I just switched my default browser to Chrome and the URLs work now. This seems to confirm your suspicion that the bug is Opera-related.

Could it be something about the settings in Opera? I'm not sure, because links from Discord and Slack, for instance, open just fine for me in Opera.

Let me know how you think I should proceed here.

Thanks!

Kyle

orlie January 23, 2020

Proceed by uninstalling Opera...

orlie January 23, 2020

I have no idea why Opera hasn't fixed this... if you google it you can find that other users on Opera have similar issues with the Twitter client...they can't click on links which will open into Opera. Since 2016.

Clearly Opera has has issues with opening links in external apps...Firefox or Chrome ...heck even the latest Microsoft Edge, built on Chromium, work fine and do not have this bug.

Choose whatever suits you better as long as its not Opera!

0 votes
Kyle Kristoffersen January 20, 2020

Hi Esme,

Thanks for the quick response! This is all happening within the desktop app, not in a browser. It works fine in the browser environment.

In cards, descriptions, pretty much anywhere. When I right click on a URL, it gives me two options: COPY LINK and OPEN LINK. Even then, clicking on OPEN LINK does nothing. My gut tells me that it's something to do with permissions for the app to open my browser, but I don't know where to set those up or where I might have set something up wrong in the beginning.

Thanks so much for your help!

Kyle

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Kyle Kristoffersen 

How very odd!!

I've just downloaded the Mac app (I always use Trello on Chrome because I have a number of Chrome extensions that I use with Trello), and opened it and opened a card that I knew had links in it. They open fine from the App into my Chrome when I left click once (on a Mac it's a single click), and I get the same as you when I right-click (2 finger click on a Mac) (copy or open) and clicking open, goes straight to my Chrome.

Could you try left-clicking once on the link and see if that works?

Are you using Windows or macOS? Depending on which OS you're using the help will be different for setting permissions. Personally, I'm a Mac girl, so if you're using a Mac then I can take you through the settings (as they are on my machine) but if it's a Windows machine I'll be all at sea so I'll ask a Windows bod to help! 

Esme :)

Kyle Kristoffersen January 21, 2020

Hi Esme! Thanks for getting back to me :)

I'm using Windows. My first attempts every time are with left-clicking, and then I moved on to right-clicking and trying the dropdown options.

Like I said before, this is happening to me on two separate machines, but I'm going to uninstall/reinstall and see if that helps. That said, I would appreciate some input from one of your Windows-savvy cohorts. :)

Thanks so much!

Kyle

Kyle Kristoffersen January 21, 2020

Another thought... I'm using Opera on both machines. Could that be causing the glitch?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Kyle Kristoffersen 

I honestly haven't used Windows for years, so I can't say whether Opera is or isn't causing the problem.

I've reached out to other Community Leaders and asked for a Windows-savvy Leader to help out.

I'm so sorry that I couldn't sort it for you, but hopefully someone else will come in and know exactly what to do!

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2020

Hi @Kyle Kristoffersen 

Thank you so much for your question.

Can I ask where the URLs are? Are they in the card description, in a checklist, a comment, as an attachment?

Are you using the Trello app, or accessing your boards through your browser? If you're using a browser, can you let me know which one?

I only ask because I've just checked mine and they're working (clicking on a link is opening a brand new browser tab on Chrome for me), so I'm wondering if you let me know where the URLs are, we might have a little more luck in working out what's playing up!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events