Turning off the "recently viewed' boards portion of the BOARDS screen

Scott Rossiter August 7, 2018

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the "recently viewed" portion of the Boards home screen?  I just find it disjointing to have to look past that to find the board I want in the main list.  Or would there be a way to move it to the bottom.  I recall a time when that wasn't a feature and I recall that with fondness.  I have all my boards ordered numerically in a particular flow and to have them pop up at the top of the screen our of sequence just messes with my brain.  I'm too visual I guess.  

22 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2018

Hi Scott

There's not a way to turn off, or move, the Recently Views boards on the Home Page.  Please use the 'Give Feedback' link at the bottom right of your Home page to let Trello know your thoughts.

Marc Pfeiffer October 17, 2020

You could use something like Lucidcharts to create your own custom home page and organize the boards however you like - take screenshots of the icons from trello, put them onto lucidcharts and link them back to those trello boards, then save the lucidcharts link to your toolbar and just go there or embed the lucidcharts document onto a webpage.  Or basically use any kind of webpage developer tool and just link back to the boards you want.

Simon Drijver August 14, 2023

"Solved" it for now by using a custom rule in my uBlock Origin (an adblocker).

Go to uBlock Origin settings and add this under My Filters:

! 2023-08-14 https://trello.com Hide Recently Used trello boards
trello.com##.content-all-boards > div > div:nth-child(2)
Like DIAS likes this
13 votes
Chris Mackin December 18, 2018

This really need to be an option in settings

Chris Mackin October 6, 2020

I posted this nearly two years ago and there is still no way to change it. The best solution I have come up with is move over to Todoist now that they have board functionality. 

7 votes
Deleted user May 23, 2019

I've been looking for exactly the same thing, I hate the recently viewed section!  There is a chrome extension that does exactly this along with a few other options. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simple-trello/bbfepffamdjkhfknckjcpjiedmacbjka 

Cristian Boloca January 8, 2020

Nice! This works until they'll get an option to disable it from within Trello settings.

Thank you!!

Like Busra Ozcan likes this
J T January 20, 2020

Best solution at this moment ✌️😁🙏🙏

Loreno January 21, 2020

Thank you very much mate!! 

Busra Ozcan April 15, 2020

Thank you so much!

Wendi Taranto August 3, 2020

i use trello for free, and this extension isn't doing anything.  i've turned 'Hide Recently Viewed Boards' to the ON postilion and have refreshed trello.  'recents' is still there. the three 'card' settings work fine.  any suggestions?

Deleted user November 21, 2020

Thanks a mill!! It is still working!

namik-mesic March 16, 2021

Excellent :) works like a charm.

4 votes
bramroelandts August 10, 2019

This has annoyed me for so long that I decided to take matters into my own hands. I mainly use the Trello app on macOS, so I modified its source code to hide the "Recently Viewed" boards.

I've made a simple bash script available, which automatically modifies the Trello app. It's available on GitHub: https://github.com/brammahh/Simplify-Trello

Oleg November 17, 2020

Worked for me.

Well done and thank you!

benschmidt_tv August 3, 2021

this won't remove it from your iphone app I'm guessing?!

Has anyone figured out a way to remove it from an iphone app. it is soooooooo annoying. I ONLy want to see a board once!

4 votes
rafayleantaas January 31, 2019

I concur, this strongly needs to be an option. It's a complete eye sore to the user having to traverse through multiple duplicate boards.

2 votes
Pavlo June 12, 2021

Do developers come here to read user requests?  This request open almost 3 years ago, is it really so difficult to implement such a simple option in settings for disable "recently viewed"? 😡

benschmidt_tv August 3, 2021

agreed!!!

2 votes
Tetiana Kushla March 24, 2019

This is not solved.

2 votes
Chakib OUHAJJOU February 25, 2019

This is already implemented, when you click on the boards button on the left top, you can click the X on any recent board to make it disappear.

Otelia Tavernier March 26, 2019

It worked for me. Thanks!

Kim Ingram Davis April 2, 2019

For a minute...

Lena_Anderson May 20, 2020

Yes! This worked. Thank you.

Shanmugarajeshwaran June 13, 2020

thanks

Pavlo June 12, 2021

This is not a solution, as it only works until the board is reopened.

Gregory Mac-Connell November 6, 2022

Not working for me.

1 vote
Jason Barnette September 2, 2022

Here we are, 4 years after the creation of this post and still Atlassian has not resolved this issue ☹️

Pavlo September 2, 2022

It is easier to switch to Microsoft Planner than to wait for some changes from Trello. There is in Planner nothing superfluous, a simple and clear interface, and automation can be done with Power Automate.

Like Tamra Ross likes this
1 vote
David Harper October 5, 2020

Can we get this implemented please? 

1 vote
Deleted user November 15, 2019

I'm new to Trello, and I can already see it would be useful to have the option to hide or minimize the Recently Viewed section, similarly to how we can already minimize the Recent Boards section in the Boards menu pane on the left-hand side of the page.

Capture.JPG

This section of 4 boards takes up central screen real estate and feels redundant if we're already using Starred Boards to organize our most useful boards.

1 vote
Lee Ross October 11, 2019

Adding my support for this issue. Recently viewed is quite useless and essentially repeats my full list of boards just below and actually inhibits viewing of boards I have neglected too long — which is exactly the situation I need Trello to help me avoid.  

I didn't notice that Trello was an Atlassian product when I signed up — they are notorious for adding “features that users hate and never fixing them.  One such issue with BitBucket has been garnering complaints for more than 3 years now with no fix.  But I’m hopeful anyway: Atlassian, for users with 10 or fewer boards that all fit on one screen this offers no value. Let us remove the entire section please. 

Tamra Ross February 2, 2023

YES! I overlook some of my boards as the recently viewed list looks enough like my full board list that I forget that if I scroll down there are more. It's not only useless and a space waster but it actively interferes with the 'at a glace' project list I was trying to set up. 

But there is a similar issue with BitBucket where tons of users have been complaining for years about useless auto generated posts that clutter a ticket stream, but that's been going on for 6 or 7 years now and it never gets fixed. Atlassian's approach is to give users what Atlassian thinks they should have and not what users want.  My team stopped using Bit Bucket as a result a few years ago and now we're moving to kanban boards in Podio due to the clutter.  But I really like Trello so I am hopeful, but not optimistic, this will be fixed.  

Like Gregory Mac-Connell likes this
1 vote
saket gurukar May 16, 2019

The "recently viewed" feature is really annoying. The creators could have at least given an option to disable it.

1 vote
Scott Rossiter March 24, 2019

The boards, click x solution only works for the duration that am on the page or i guess the browser session.  Have to do this every time i open the browser. 

Kim Ingram Davis April 2, 2019

Right. Not a solution.

0 votes
Gregory Mac-Connell February 3, 2023

I just gave up and start to use another tool than Trello. Atlassian has bigger tools to take care of… So ditch Trello altogether. 👍

0 votes
Ann June 25, 2021

It's not the solution you are looking for but I did find a functional (for me) workaround.  

1. Move all your boards to a workspace.  Obviously, this only works if you have enough available boards in your workspace (10 for free, unlimited for business). 

2. Click on "Boards".

3. Click on your workspace.  

4. Copy that URL and make that a bookmark.

5. Moving forward, always use that bookmark instead of the silly Trello home button which forces us to look at two versions of the exact same board list.  

Ann June 25, 2021

Now just to figure out how to force it to sort by alpha after the tab is refreshed. *rolls eyes*

0 votes
Sophie Chiche March 3, 2021

Trello, 

When will this be fixed? This appears to be, over the last several years, the single most requested change. Just give us a setting to turn it off. 

0 votes
Maddison Nichols January 18, 2021

0 votes
Loel Stein January 4, 2021

I am about 1 week into learning trello and find it utterly ridiculous that this has not been addressed.  Having the ability to customize your home view is not a difficult ask.  I’m like you, very visual.  All I want is a simple and clean home page that shows my starred boards.  What I get instead is a page cluttered with redundant boards.  This takes up 90% of the real estate. (See pic)

This is a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know of a good trello replacement?  Something very clean and efficient.  Thanks in advance. 9B5FB832-9AE9-4318-970D-7153CB108BC0.jpeg

0 votes
scottschindler April 26, 2020

This is not solved on the Mac desktop app.

It is very annoying to see boards that I closed and don't want to see anymore in the recent section. It's right there front and center every time I open Trello 😥

Please give us an option to hide the recent boards. I'm very much considering switching to Notion because of this one huge flaw in Trello. It's such an easy fix too, so upsetting!

bramroelandts April 26, 2020

I did create a fix for this, because it drives me crazy on the macOS desktop app. If you're up for a little tinkering in the Terminal, you can apply the fix yourself:

https://github.com/bramroelandts/Simplify-Trello 

0 votes
Tim Nguyen November 14, 2019

Love Trello, but I do concur with the sentiments above. Please provide a config for this.

0 votes
ecokola February 12, 2019

Actually - there is a very easy workaround for this. Here's how to do it in Chrome.

Simply right click on the title "recently viewed"

Click "inspect"

Delete that whole div in the inspector dock and voila - perfectly organized and satisfying order. 

The page will stay this way unless you refresh for any reason. 

When you need a board, open it in a new tab. 

Hope this helps :)

marufEG February 25, 2019

This is not a solution

Like # people like this
Lee Ross October 11, 2019

Ok, I could just use the console and redesign any web page to my liking, but the change only lasts until you refresh the screen.  Doing this every time you visit the page is far more time consuming than having to scroll past the offending section.  Let’s make it clear to other visitors of this page that this fix has to be applied every time you visit the page — even if you just navigate to another page within Trello and back again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events