Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to prepare for the Workspace change on 6/17/21

Adrian June 14, 2021

I'm trying to prepare for the change to Workspaces later this week.  I'm on the free account, but I've got more than 10 boards - more like 15.  Some are shared boards that I use with my team, but many of them are resources I've gotten from other businesses or just plain personal boards that I don't necessarily want to share with my team or anyone.  Still others are template boards that I use in my business for my readers to copy and use for themselves.  

So the first question is - what will change about my boards and what will stay the same?  Will others have access to my private boards??  Will this affect my template boards in any way?  

I've deleted two boards that I really didn't need.  Do I need to delete more boards to get under the 10 total limit or will I be forced onto business class?  Not that I really mind the $10/month fee - totally worth it for this much value, but I don't want anything to change about how my boards look and function.  I love my Trello exactly as is and use it many times a day, so I don't want to mess it up.  

So the other question is should I try to delete or combine boards to get under the 10 board limit to stay on the free plan?   

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2021

Since free workspaces are limited to 10 boards (paid workspaces have no board limit), you would either need to 

- create multiple workspaces

- close more boards

- upgrade to Business Class

I believe if you do nothing, you will be enrolled in a Business Class trial and your boards will all move into one Workspace.  Nothing should change about your boards though (except they will all have the Business Class features like Advanced Checklists, Views, etc).  Then at the end of the trial if you didn't put your payment method in, your least recently used boards would be closed (not deleted, just closed. You can reopen them by closing other boards).

Adrian June 14, 2021

Thank you Michael - that is interesting and gives me a better idea what to expect.  

So, on the free plan, could I create a workspace for myself and my assistants to use, and a separate Personal workspace for my own boards? 

How difficult is it to switch between workspaces? 

If I do that now, will that avoid the issue of being added to the Business Class?  

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2021

You could create a workspace for you and your assistant and also a personal one. If you have less than 10 boards it won’t put you in a business class trial (if you have exactly 10 it will still put you in a trial)

Adrian June 14, 2021

Michael - I'm a little confused.  It says that you are allowed 10 boards in a workspace on the free plan, but now you're saying it has to be 9 boards?  It's not just an idle question, I've deleted a few more and actually got it down to exactly 10 boards that are all pretty packed with info, so I have to decide if I'm going to try and combine 2 of them, or be switched to business class when I don't really want to be.  #toughchoices 

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2021

You are allowed 10 boards in a free workspace. 

I believe if the migration happens automatically (Ie you don’t move the boards beforehand) and you have exactly 10 then we start a Business Class trial for you because otherwise you wouldn’t be able to make any more boards. 

I believe if you move the boards yourself then it won’t start a trial. 

Regardless even if the trial started, you could just cancel it. It’s free. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events