Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble syncing comments with original card and linked card

Kelly May 10, 2024

Hello,

I have this rule on my board when i post a comment to a card in this list it works for the linked card but for the card where i post te comment it also post the exact same comment (again). So now i have the same comment twice in the card. 

In the "post comment" action there is no option where i can specify that i only need this on the linked card and not on the card where i post the comment, this wil confuse my clients.

Is there a solution for this? 

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-05-10 om 19.10.15.png

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Hi @Kelly 

Try this automation, enabled on both boards...

Screenshot 2024-05-21 18.50.26.png

Kelly May 21, 2024

Yes, this worked like a charm! Thank you so so much! Not only for your help but also for your persistence with my problem.

(Do not forget to also put the ** in front and at the end of the word Comment in the trigger, it's so specific...)

Also discovered that there were still all kind of power-ups I once installed that still had access even though I had already removed them from the boards. This also had an effect on my automations. I didn't know this was the case at first, but you can check this in your settings in your account and then scroll down to applications. You can then revoke access there.

Like Dreamsuite Mike likes this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

My pleasure, I look forward to seeing more posts in the future 😊

Like Kelly likes this
0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

Hi Kelly, check out my profile and connect with me on LinkedIn.  I want to help you fix this and I think you are close to it working

0 votes
Josh_Unito May 15, 2024

Hi @Kelly ! I'm from Unito, we're an Atlassian partner with a few Trello Power-Ups available in the marketplace dedicated to mirroring and syncing data between Trello cards in different boards. 

Here's a Trello Trello integration tutorial I put together detailing how to set up our Trello Board Sync Power-Up in around 15 minutes that perpetually keeps data in sync between all cards in multiple boards. You can add filters to only sync some cards within those boards so there's a lot of flexibility depending on your use case.

Unito is a paid app, so it's ideal for syncing data in bulk/at scale. 

But if you're working with only a few dozen cards, maybe up to 50 or 60, you could try out Unito's Mirror Power Up for Trello instead. It costs less than the Board Sync Power-Up and lets you sync fields between individual cards on a 1:1 basis with a button.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm happy to help out if I can!

Kelly May 20, 2024

Hi Josh,

I looked at this option but i need it to work between workspaces. I didn't see this option because i only had the option to choose the boards that are in the same workspace. I that possible?

After that i looked at the pricing and the cheapest option was $65 per month, am i right? That's a bit much for where i want to use it for and especially when i can only use it on the same workspace.

Love to hear back from you.

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2024

Hi,

This is where Trello automation has an issue because the automation is executed on behalf of the user...I tend to create a separate Trello account to run automations, which helps me get around issues like this...I call mine like [companyname]bot, e.g. @dreambot

This is just a tip I have based on doing this for a long time..

Back to how to fix yours, you can add a simple change to the automations to fix it.

On the client board, change your automation to:

When a comment is posted on a card in list ?VRAGEN by anyone except me, find the first card linked in attachments and post the comment Client:{fullname} posted comment {commenttext} 

on the dashboard, change the automation to:

When a comment not starting with "Client" is posted on a card in list ?VRAGEN VAN KLANTEN, find the first card linked in attachments and post the comment {commenttext} 

Kelly May 13, 2024

Tried both. Still the same. It doesn't change the fact that it's posting the comment on the original card twice.

When i use a separate Trello account and set the automations on that account (disabled them on mine) then it's posted on behalf of that account again but it's still double (one from me and one from the bot)

And that's the same when i use the other options. When the comment is posted it is repeated (my client posted the question and my account repeats the comment) so there is always the same comment twice. Of course i could explain this to my client but i rather not...

The post comment option is just not working how i want it to work. I had this automation for al longer time but this posting twice is something recent, before it didn't do that.

Hope i'm missing something or you have another great idea. 

Otherwise, thank you so much for helping me out, i really appreciate it!

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2024

Hi @Kelly 

What is happening here:

1. Comment made on first card
  2. Automation finds the linked card and adds the same comment to it
  3. If the linked card is also in the list ?VRAGEN, the automation will run on that card, which means it will put the comment on the first card again
  4. I'm pretty sure at this point Trello automation will error and have a loop issue.

You can set conditions to get around this.  I would perhaps use a label...
On the linked card, add a label called something like "linked card"

Then change the automation to:

When a comment is posted on a card in list ?VRAGEN, without the "linked card" label, find the first card linked in attachments and post the comment {commenttext} 
Kelly May 12, 2024

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I also think that there is some looping going on but it's not what you say because the linked card is on another board. So that should not be the problem, i guess? But i can't understand why it's happening...

So therefor i also don't understand what you mean bij using a label in this case.

I will explain the situation some more so you better understand how i made it.

I have separate board with clients. They ask me questions in the list ?VRAGEN. When that happens the the following automation starts:

when a card is added to list "❓VRAGEN", copy the card to the top of list "?VRAGEN VAN KLANTEN" on board "Dashboard" and link the cards together

So that al the questions i get from different clients gets bundled for me on my dashboard board in the list ? VRAGEN VAN KLANTEN

Then i have the automation on the board of the client that also the comments in the card get synced to the linked card (on my dashboard). I made this in a separate automation:

when a comment is posted to a card in list "❓VRAGEN", find the first card linked in the attachments, and post comment "{commenttext}"

When the client now make a comment. You see this:

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-05-12 om 17.52.46.png

First her comment she made and then the one butler is posting again.

On my dashboard board in the card i only see one comment. 

I also have the automation that my comments get copied back to the card on my clients board:

when a comment is posted to a card in list "?VRAGEN VAN KLANTEN", find the first card linked in the attachments, and post comment "{commenttext}"

And also there, when i make a comment. I get the same comment again posted by butler:

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-05-12 om 17.53.07.png

Hope you can help me out, i already really appreciate that you took the time to respond to me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events