Trello notifications on Slack: how to get only target messages?

DmP August 12, 2019

Having integrated our Trello with Slack, we now face a considerable issue: there is no customization of notifications. The one available from Trello only allows either receiving all mails associated with board creation/checklist changes/etc. or not receiving them.

So, for example, when Person C opens a task for Person B, Person A will get a notification, even though they don't have to and don't need it.

With mail notifications, everything is just fine: I get notified when I am opened a task, I am addressed by someone, or when I monitor an issue. Can it be done just the same way on Slack, so that I would get only notifications related directly to me?

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2019

We designed the Slack integration to work more for team channels, so for instance, your marketing team has a channel called #marketing and then your editorial calendar board would post updates to that channel when cards are moved into a specific list.  You're right that it doesn't allow you to send DMs to individual people about specific events for just you. 

We did play around with this (i.e. to change your Notifications destination to be Slack instead of email) but never shipped it.

You could set this up via zapier though if you wanted to use the email route to then trigger Slack messages (you'd probably need to set up a gmail filter and fwd the msgs to a zapier trigger that would then update you in Slack).

Hannah Linder October 26, 2023

Did the ability t change your notifications destination to be slack instead of email ever get released? This would be so helpful

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events