Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello card-level permissions?

Rich Blundell January 13, 2019

Using a Business-Class account, I run an online course where each student is assigned their own personal card.

I'd like for each student to be able to edit, attach and comment on their own card PLUS a dedicated community card. Students do not need to be able to create cards but I don't mind if they can.

I'd also like to have some cards and lists that only I (the teacher) can edit.

Is there ANY way to add this functionality? Power-ups? Custom code?

Please help?

Rich

11 answers

4 votes
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2019

Hi @Rich Blundell,

Currently, Trello doesn't support per-card permissions—once someone has access to a board, they'll be able to see and edit all cards on it.

For now, we suggest creating separate boards for different permissions levels, or in your case, for students.

In the meantime, I'll definitely share your interest in this with our team for consideration at least!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, and have a great day.

Rich Blundell January 15, 2019

I understand that Trello does not currently support this kind of functionality. 

The question is, will it be possible to develop (or find) a power-up the could serve as a workaround?

Or is there some server-side architectural reason that makes a custom power-up impossible.?

If it is technically possible, I will pursue it, if it’s fundamentally not possible to code a solution, I’ll drop it.

thanks,

Rich

Rich Blundell January 16, 2019

Thanks Garrett,

I know that Trello does not currently support card-level permissions. 

However, creating a unique board for each student will not work. I have also tried several card syncing approaches that will not work. I simply need to be able to restrict editing and moving to a student's personal card only.

The question is:

Can this problem be solved by creating a custom power-up or is it impossible due to server-side, API-level limitations?

If it is possible, where can I find and hire a developer who can help with this?

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2019

Hey Rich,

Sorry for my delayed response. This could be done in theory, but it likely would be a very unreliable implementation, and we'd honestly recommend against it. As for how that custom pup could be created, or where to find and hire a dev to assist with that, I'm afraid that is out of our scope of support.

I apologize that I can't provide more guidance here.

Please let me know if this raises additional questions or concerns.

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2019

@Rich Blundell Actually, I'm working on a workaround for this problem.  It'll be a combination  of a power-up and a webservice.

As @Garrettsaid, it'll be probably unreliable if done purely as a power-up.

Rich Blundell January 17, 2019

@marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- That's intriguing to hear. Could you provide some details about what your workaround will do and how it will work? When will it be ready?

I like Trello, but having exhausted all other options for this functionality, I likely be forced to use a different platform.

Like Chuma Chukwujama likes this
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

@Rich BlundellHappy to talk to you about the plans and your use case!  You can contact me through the website on my profile page.  Looking forward to it.

JayJ February 19, 2019

It would be great if there are card-level permissions.

I want only certain members on the board to edit certain cards. This, currently, can't be done.

Melissa L_ September 28, 2020

I also feel that card level permissions would be extremely helpful. As a small non-profit that cannot afford a project manager, and in an organization where we would like to have a single board to serve as a project charter and pulse of the organization- this would be very helpful. It would also be extremely helpful in setting up and managing reporting. 

Mark March 24, 2021

Echo this as well and could think of several real world business cases for this feature. Is there any exploration occurring now with the Trello / Atlassian Product Team to determine if that feature is something that could be worked into a H1 or H2 of 2021 Roadmap?

Matt Cochrane November 30, 2022

@Rich Blundell Hi Rich did you ever get a solution?

1 vote
Chuma Chukwujama June 13, 2021

This is a needed feature. Is it on the horizon?

0 votes
Sabbir Al Fahad August 12, 2023

Hola, may we get an update on the "Card-level-permission" scheme in Trello boards? Just like Jira, please mention if it's already resolved.

Thanks!

Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2023

Hi @Sabbir Al Fahad,

Cigdem from Hipporello here. I don't remember reading anywhere that this feature will be added or is on the roadmap, so not sure there's an update.

But our Card Share Power-Up allows you to share certain cards with some people (board member or not) on a web portal. So basically you publish some cards or card fields on a web portal and define whom should be allowed to view them. This way you can share cards without adding people to your Trello board. Give it a try and let me know what you think or if you need any help. 

I'd be happy to hear any feedback on this,

cigdem.buyukasik@hipporello.com

Best,

0 votes
Minh Pham July 2, 2023

Would love to see the feature, also enforces people to assign cards to people which should be in every workflow

Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 14, 2023

Hello @Minh Pham,

Cigdem from Hipporello here. Our Card Share Power-Up allows you to share certain cards with some people (board member or not) on a web portal. So basically you publish some cards or card fields on a web portal and define whom should be allowed to view them. This way you can share cards without adding people to your Trello board. Give it a try and let me know what you think or if you need any help. 

I'd be happy to hear any feedback on this,

cigdem.buyukasik@hipporello.com

Best,

0 votes
Giovane Bucci April 1, 2023

SOCOROOOOOOO

Preciso dessa funcionalidade. 

Se não, terei que trocar de sistema.

0 votes
Matt Cochrane November 30, 2022

Did anyone get closer on this? 

This is the biggest "red-flag" for our organisation. 

0 votes
Keruchan September 21, 2021

This is also what im trying to do but in a Business application. 

Where I want my lower tier employees (delivery guy, product packagers) to attach a proof of work. (photos) to the card they were assigned.

I believe this should be added to the business plan features of trello. 

A permission where 'only allow attachment to a card they are assigned."

0 votes
Elyas Ahmed July 2, 2021

This feature is getting too critical to continue using Trello without it. Are we anywhere close to achieving this?

Chuma Chukwujama July 2, 2021

I found a solution (TeamWork Projects) and thats what i use for card level security. 

0 votes
Mauricio April 20, 2021

Garrett, has this changed yet? If not, is it in the works? Looks like plenty of people are requesting this feature...

0 votes
Vadim Yanchuk February 19, 2021

I need this too so much

0 votes
Robyn Hannah November 13, 2020

Me too, a small organisation but to avoid leakage of sensitive data it would be good to restrict viewing of particular cards only to the members added to it

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events