Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello and Google Calendar Conference Room Booking

Rachel Bloem January 3, 2019

My company is hoping to expand the work that the sync between Trello and Google Calendar can do. What we would like to do is sync it so that when a card is moved from one column to the next, it triggers an open conference room to be booked.

Has anyone had success with something like this? Or is it out of the capabilities of Trello and Google Calendar?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2019

Hi @Rachel Bloem!

This may be possible... The only way I can think of it working is if you either make a list for each conference room, or if you apply a label for the room you want. As far as I know, Google Calendar isn’t “smart enough” to book a random available room - or at least, if it is, isn’t able to share this ability with other apps.

I’ll outline the steps I think might work, but you will need to test it to see if it works as my setup would require... well, a lot of work to get it changed and going, heh! Here’s what I think might work:

1. Sign up for Zapier.com if you haven’t already. It’s a website that automates actions between different digital platforms. You create Zaps to perform tasks.
  2. Create a Zap. Set your trigger app to Trello, and set the action to Card Moved to List. You might have to expand the actions list to see this one. If you want to go the Label route, set the trigger to New Label Added to Card.
  3. Fill in the details that make sense. Depending on which path you do, they’ll be different. 
  4. Add Google Calendar as the action app. Select Create Detailed Event.
  5. Here’s where I can’t quite test to see what works, but in setting up the template here, you’ll want to try adding the Resource (conference room) name exactly as it’s spelled to the Location field, or adding its “email” (found in Share Settings; it should end in @resource.calendar.google.com) to the location field, OR adding that email to the attendees field (since rooms booked technically show up as attendees).
  6. Finish filling out the steps as they make sense.

And give it a test! If you need help with the Zap just let me know which one you want to try (list or labels) and I can give more specific steps. Theoretically, this should work. But who knows, right? Worth a shot, at least!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events