Trello add on Gmail - Spam and suspicious messages can’t be used

Deleted user March 16, 2020

We receive jobs logged to our gmail account, the jobs come through via our website. The email address that comes through starts with:  do-not-reply@

It is picked up by Gmail as suspicious and therefore I cannot then move the job via the Trello add on.

Message comes up from Trello add on- Spam and suspicious messages can’t be used for recommended content or actions. Try searching for messages in your inbox.

I have tried adding the do-not-reply@ email address in Gmail as Not Spam and Important....but it seems to make no difference.

This makes the functionality of the Gmail add useless to us....any thoughts please

2 answers

0 votes
Ytzen Lont April 29, 2020

I have the same problem. In my case it has nothing to do with "do not reply" and there's not spam-message of flag whatsoever. Mails of my most important client can not be added to Trello by addon, because Trello keeps seeing them as "spam" or "suspicious". In come cases Gmail has marked them as "important message" (which indeed they are). The Trello error message says "try messages from your inbox", but this is just happening with (important) messages in the Inbox. I don't see a way to "tell" Trello (in a setting or elsewhere) to accept these emails and this sender. I removed - restarted Chrome - and reinstalled the Trello addon, but still the same problem.  It renders the Trello Gmail add on useless. 

Ytzen Lont April 29, 2020

It's not a specific Trello problem, but apparently a Gmail [addon] problem. Also other addons don't accept these specific emails. There's no spam flag or anything else suspicious in the mail. I'll do some more testing. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2020

@Ytzen Lont do you have gmail category tabs enabled?

Ytzen Lont May 1, 2020

No I don't use category tabs nor flags like "important". After some testing I concluded that it isn't a Trello problem but a Gmail problem. Possibly the "important" flag is causing the problem. In this case, in stead of using the Trello addon I forwarded the mail to Trello. As a workaround that works fine for me for now. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

@Ytzen Lont even though you don't use the category tabs, the categories are still actually applied in the background by Gmail (same with important). Try enabling the tabs (and remove show starred in primary as an option) and see if the emails that you can't add successfully are all in tabs other than primary. If that's the case, you can move the emails into the primary tab.

Ytzen Lont May 4, 2020

Thanks, Lain. I've tested this and the (by Gmail's addons) refused mail was in the Primary box (and is still refused). The workaround (mailing to Trello) works alright. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020

@Ytzen Lont okay cool, if you want a cleaner integration between trello and Gmail you can check out my product BenkoBoard:

https://trello.com/integrations/#benkoboard

Although the default is to import the primary tab periodically you can set it up so that it only imports from a given label periodically, so for example instead of forwarding an email into Trello, you could label it. This has the added benefit of being able to reply to the email directly from Trello also.

I found that when using the email to board settings, Trello would "thread" emails sometimes in unpredictable ways, which means that you might archive a card, then forward an email to the board, then it gets added as a comment to an existing, archived card, then it just sort of "fails silently" unless you realise that you missed something.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2020

@[deleted] are the messages in your spam folder, or are they in one of your standard tabs but with a "This message looks suspicious" notification at the top of the message?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events