Trello Windows 10 App No Longer Allowed Access to Google Account

Graham Gomez December 12, 2019

As of last week, I am no longer able to attach files from Google Drive to Trello cards. I am using the Windows 10 App and typically attach using either the "Attach" button or the Google Drive Power-Up. The new problem is that when I try to link my google account and complete the login process I am given this message by Google:

"Couldn't sign you in

This browser or app may not be secure. Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in."

This is clearly something that has recently changed with Google's security settings and not a problem with the Trello app itself changing. It seems Google has decided that the Trello app's built-in browser is not secure enough. Google drive login works fine in the online version of Trello as it is being opened through Firefox, one of Google's trusted browsers.

On a slow internet connection the browser version runs very slow for me where the app runs perfectly so it would be great to able to continue working in the app!

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks!

11 answers

1 vote
Islombek K January 18, 2021

Same on macOS 11.1. Can't login using Google :(

Mac January 19, 2021

I eventually had to use my Apple ID to sign in and link it to my Gmail. This problem is likely due to the Google OAuth security having changed and Atlassian not keeping up to speed with the changes.

Mary Ramos Donís January 22, 2021

How where you able to do this? I already have boards and lists with my Gmail linked account. 

1 vote
Ali Khan January 13, 2021

It's 2021, and I'm facing the same problem. A little disappointed :/

1 vote
qmyung January 12, 2021

Same here... using Trello Windows 10 App with Google authentication. 

Couldn't sign you in

This browser or app may not be secure.  Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in.

1 vote
Julia Marchet Scopel January 8, 2021

It is also happening here :(

Are there any news regarding this issue?

0 votes
Lucas Dolis June 1, 2022

Still have 

400. That’s an error.

The server cannot process the request because it is malformed. It should not be retried. That’s all we know.

I could login with one account, but when tried with another, it shows that message.

0 votes
Julia Marchet Scopel April 6, 2021

It's working! Thank you!!

0 votes
Graham Gomez January 21, 2021

It's unfortunate to hear this is still an issue. This isn't a fix but for those who don't mind a bit of fiddling, I've found a workaround solution that I've been using in the meantime to kind of get the advantages of both worlds.

I've downloaded the web browser "Vivaldi", which is heavily customizable and tweakable.

I just set the homepage as trello.com, then went through the extensive preferences and removed all toolbars, menus, and even the address bar. So I essentially have made a Trello app out of it. Since Vivaldi is a Chrome-based browser there are no Google Drive issues.

The added advantage is I can add Chrome-Extensions to further customize/add features to Trello! The main one needed is the "Open in Firefox" extension that automatically opens any links (Or specific kinds of links you'd like) in Firefox, the way the Trello app would. I'm sure there must be "Open in Chrome/Safari/Edge" versions as well.

The downside to this method is since it is still just loading the web version from a browser, I've found it to be slower to load than the app.

The additional downside is now I love Vivaldi and want to make it my default browser instead of Firefox.

This all may be more trouble than it is worth for most, but I thought I'd mention it in case it helped anyone!

0 votes
Mac January 19, 2021

Having the same issue on BigSur with Intel MacMini

0 votes
Jay Mehta January 16, 2021

Same here. Need to sign in to Trello App on Windows 10. Please fix this issue fast. Have to use Trello on browser as alternative right now.

Mac January 19, 2021

Even though it is annoying Trello is probably an 'electron' app (web app in a native app window) so you're not missing out too much. Same experience, just much more bothersome to access. Hopefully, Atlassian fixes it soon.

0 votes
embronne April 8, 2020

This problem still persists. Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed?

0 votes
Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2019

Sorry for the trouble this is causing, Graham. Our team has this issue on their radar and are currently working on a fix. I don't have an estimate for when that will be deployed, but we'll release it as soon as it's ready.

For now, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for any desktop app updates in the Microsoft Store.

Aram Grigoryan December 29, 2019

Similarly, I cannot log in using Google to a newly downloaded Trello app on Mac.

Mehmet Gulez March 7, 2020

I can not login to Trello from my MS Teams on my Mac and it is giving the same warning 

Couldn't sign you in

This browser or app may not be secure. Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in."

Is there any progress in solving this issue?

Mehmet

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events