Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Report showing Each User's Most Recent Activity

Jordan Stoeger September 22, 2020

Hi all, 

I am brand new to the Atlassian Community, but have been working in Trello for a few months. I work with a volunteer group who uses Trello to organize our tasks. Individual volunteers can log in and join a card any time they are free. 

We're noticing quite a bit of user bloat. That is, we have a number of people who have signed up to volunteer but never joined a card or completed tasks on a card. We'd like to be able to run a report showing something relating to user activity that **includes** inactive users. 

A few potential examples of what we have in mind: 

• number of cards joined OR tasks completed in a specific date range (best, but probably the most difficult to achieve)
  • number of cards joined or number of tasks completed (without a date range, this would require some tracking to determine whether the user is still active or has only been active in the past)
  • last login (wouldn't necessarily show us user activity, but would give us something)

We are open to using a powerup, though I haven't been able to find one that would give us an off the shelf fix. It seems like this *might* be possible in the future when we are able to upgrade to a paid account and use the expanded Butler features, but I don't see a clear pathway to exporting the data we're looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Our org is hosting a fundraising event this weekend and we expect to have access to funds for a solution shortly.

Thanks very much! JNS

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger This Trellinator function will give you a list of members who are not a member of any card in the board that was edited in the last month:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/ff2c186cb3950e23deb7288fd74641fe

You can run it by copying and pasting the code into BenkoBot here:

https://app.benkobot.com/

Just update the board name up the top, then run the code. You can save a link to that snippet to re-run it once per month or whenever you like in order to see a list of people who haven't been joining any cards on which there was activity this month.

There's more you could do with the code obviously, the documentation for Trellinator is here although only a subset of the total functionality is executable inside BenkoBot currently:

http://docs.trellinator.com/

Jordan Stoeger September 24, 2020

Thank you so much @Iain Dooley !

This is exceptional!! I do have a few questions:

How is "this month" defined? If it's run today, 9/24, does it look back to 8/24? Or does it check the past days in the current month (9/1 to 9/24) or... something different altogether? 

Benko took a few minutes to run, and afterward, it says, "You have used up 4 of your 600 free minutes" -- I went to benkoworks.com but there doesn't seem to be a place where I can learn more about the pricing structure. As a budding non-profit, we have to be very careful about which tools we become dependent on. Obviously, we could go a good long while on 600 minutes at this rate! But I'd still like to be able to tell the team what we can expect going into the future.

Many thanks! JNS

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger glad it helps, the "edited:month" is just Trello's standard search modifier, it will look back one month from today, so if it's the 14th of October, edited:month will return cards that have been changed since the 14th of September. You can also do something like "edited:30" for the previous 30 days:

https://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

It's actually 10 free minutes that you get with BenkoBot, there's a bug in the interface that prints the number of seconds but calls it minutes :)

We have developed pricing for it but haven't published it yet. It's also going to be extended to allow things like notification handling and scheduled functions, as well as a "library" that would operate similar to board buttons to save your functions/snippets.

There will be an "ad-hoc" plan where you can execute one off code only (as you did above) which will cost USD$10 for 1,000 minutes with a 12 month expiry. Other plans then allow you to have notification triggers/scheduled commands and so on.

You can also run Trellinator functions in Google Apps Script which means you can host it in a Google user account, so for example if you already use G-Suite you can just setup a Trellinator instance in your own user account and it won't cost you anything. You can read more about this version of Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Trellinator is actually an open source project I developed, and BenkoBot is the commercial hosting version of it, and Google Apps Script is like the free "community" edition.

The Google Apps Script version already has notification handling and scheduled commands, it's just much trickier to setup.

None of this is presented with anything approaching any clarity on the website yet :)

Feel free to email team@benkoworks.com if you need any further information.

Jordan Stoeger September 28, 2020

Awesome. Thank you so much.

If there were other tasks similar to this, would Benko be interested in working with us to develop code snippets like this one? 

Our team will be discussing Benko tomorrow at our meeting. Thanks again!!

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger yep, that's what we do :) Email team@benkoworks.com and we can set up a call to discuss

Jordan Stoeger October 14, 2020

Hi @Iain Dooley  --

I am having problems with the BenkoBot API today. Every time I try to authenticate it gives me this error: 

Failed to fetch undefined

I tried going into my Trello account's settings to revoke and re-authenticate, but it gives the same error (although when I go to settings, it is clear that it was authorized).

Can you help me get it working again?

Thank you.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger what a headache for you! I can't really investigate very easily without knowing your Trello username, can you send me the Trello username that you have registered with to team@benkoworks.com? Thanks!

Jordan Stoeger October 15, 2020

@Iain Dooley -- sent! 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger just wanted to make sure you received my follow up email about this. We got it sorted over the weekend. Thanks!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger oh hello just got your reply :)

0 votes
Silvia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

Quick update here, you can now count tasks completed in a specific date range per member in Blue Cat Reports. A similar case is used in our guide here.

Completed Cards by Team Member

Stacked bar charts are also possible. When reporting on Completed Cards, a date range like Last Week can be applied. 

If you sign up for a trial with us at Blue Cat, you can reach out to our support through the app and we are happy to help and create a report as the above or anything else you might need.

0 votes
Jörg Grabinski July 26, 2021

I seem to be late in this topic, but maybe it helps other latecomers. We had the same requirements at UBit and implemented our own solution that we are now offering to the community. Trial version is free. Good comments will be rewarded with a free licence!

https://www.ubit.ch/en/software/ubit-trello-tool/

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2020

@Jordan Stoeger 

the user events mentioned in your post are recorded as Trello actions on a card(except login). The access to these events where you need an immediate response is usually with Butler or other automation tools. But if you are looking to some analysis using reports, then you have to fetch these actions via API, combining through the board for member and card statuses. Here’s an example that uses a combination of Butler, the API etc for an unassigned member on the board.

https://youtu.be/nG-Wi3nmdgQ

Note also to report on checklist item assignment and due dates (not entire checklist) is still a challenge within Trello but doable ... read the discussion here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Create-an-email-report-including-checklist-items-assigned-to-me/qaq-p/1484216

Let me know should you have more questions. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events