Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Filtering: AND instead of OR

JR Veale March 7, 2019

I like the option to filter a board by label (it's a great way to keep lots of cards in a single board without being overwhelmed with stuff).

I'd like to be able to filter for cards that show both a red label and a blue label, for example. If I choose both labels to filter, I'm shown all red labels and all blue labels instead of just the cards labelled as red AND blue. Which is what I'd expect, so fair enough. Is there a way to filter for AND instead of OR though? 

I'm aware I can search for this, but then you lose the benefit of a board and just get a list (which negates any benefits).

Any help would be much appreciated!

In case of relevance/interest:

My use case is a set of labels to group cards into sets of related tasks (product 1, product 2, experiment 1, etc), and a separate set of labels to also define what kind of task the card is (UX design, mechanics, electrics, back-end software dev, etc). I'd like things organised with labels in this way so that I can use the board lists to organise tasks into columns of grouped goals/'needs-to-be-done-by's (ASAP, for customer X demo, for internal review in April, etc). I don't want to use due dates for this, because I'd like to be able to benefit from being able to move things between columns easily, and to shift the order of whole columns as priorities change.

2 answers

1 vote
Jesse Wilson January 10, 2022

I'm not sure if this is a new feature since the last post or was just missed but, there seems to be a way to filter labels with AND vs OR now. At the bottom of the filter list, there is a toggle for Any Match or Exact Match. If you switch to Exact Match, it seems selected labels create an AND filter. Hope this helps. 

Image 4.png

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

@JR Veale The filter is always a logical OR rather than a logical AND, however, the search is logical AND so you can use it to get a list of cards on a board that have both labels (but not only one of either):

https://help.trello.com/article/972-filtering-vs-searching

This doesn't show you the cards in a board interface, though, it shows them in a list interface so you can't easily drag them around :(

JR Veale March 8, 2019

Thanks for your answer, this is the conclusion I came to when looking around - I was hoping for a workaround or filtering feature that I'd missed.

Is there a feature request system in place where I can suggest extensions to filtering / searching? (If Trello were open source I'd be tempted to make a PR!)

Like Jenny Lauridsen likes this
Jan-Rienk June 24, 2021

AND filtering would be a great feature. I'm guessing in the background there is some SQL doing the filtering based on selected labels. Would love to be able to type this in. Being able to save this filtering would be even better.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events